Any way to upgrade GPU of a laptop? Lenovo Y510p

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by chargersrool, Feb 1, 2016.

1. chargersrool

chargersrool

I'm a technical kind of guy except I just dont know if it is possible to do or not with my laptop.
    I have exchanged the power supply port because it was faulty so I know the inside of my laptop.
    Question is if there is a way I can upgrade the gpu on my laptop? It's a Lenovo Y510p - i7 4770k with (2) Nvidia GT750M's and 16gb of memory. It's a great laptop. I certainly don't want to buy a new one just to have upgraded graphics. I want to be able to play the Division as well as Star Citizen.

I also just briefly looked into a external videocard adapter. Is this something I can (theoretically) plug a desktop gpu into to get a major graphics boost? I'm also figuring that I would need another power supply for the desktop gpu.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    chargersrool, Feb 1, 2016
  2. chargersrool

Andorphin

I think it's possible to do it. So to answer this question yes I would say there are some ways to upgrade the GPU of a laptop. I've never done that before though. I know how to change desktop computer graphic cards but didn't really thought about doing this on a laptop. But I think the graphic cards have to share very, very similar characteristics in order to change them. Size, components, connectors and many other things. Other thing you could do is connect an external desktop graphics card to the laptop through a PE4H adapter board and an additional power supply. That is definitely possible to do. You just need to do the research on your own laptop. Hope this helped.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Andorphin, Feb 1, 2016
  3. chargersrool

djtech

djtech, Feb 2, 2016
  4. chargersrool

Lun

Most laptop GPUs are soldered into the motherboard and are impossible to replace. Although I think I heard of a few models here and there with different designs that allow the GPU to be detached. I think they're called MXM or something like that. According to this link, your laptop supports that feature but only for one of the cards. Check out the answer by Eximo (and the follow up answer below it):
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2099588/upgrade-gpu-lenovo-y510p.html

Lun, Feb 11, 2016
Ask a Question