Any way to make the monitor less glossy?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by hamburglar, Sep 6, 2008.

1. hamburglar

hamburglar

Is there some kind of transparent sheet or anything to make the view less glossy?

hamburglar, Sep 6, 2008
  2. hamburglar

hmraao

You could try a sheet of draughtsman tracing paper. There are, of course, more permanent spray coatings that you can buy in a can for achieving a frosted glass effect. Some home improvement stores also sell adhesive sheets to apply to glass for the same purpose. Otherwise, and honest to God, I don't believe I'm about to suggest this, you could try applying a thin coat of diluted PVA adhesive. That would certainly cut down on glare, and wouldn't be too difficult to remove at a later stage, if you decided that it was a mistake. If you're going to try this, then I would suggest you seal the edges of the display screen where it meets the bezel with some electrical tape, so the PVA solution doesn't get into the works of the display. Though just reading this hair-brained suggestion should be enough to hopefully put you off;)

hmraao, Sep 6, 2008
  3. hamburglar

ryoo818

There are screen protectors for PDAs that give the same look and feel of a matte screen. I don't think their primary function is to reduce glare, though. They're supposed to give the PDA more of a paper-like feel.

Maybe you could find a manufacturer who makes them and see if they offer anything larger.

ryoo818, Sep 6, 2008
  4. hamburglar

ani88

rub some vegetable oil on it ;)

ani88, Sep 6, 2008
  5. hamburglar

melhiore

Sand paper????

Joking :) You can buy screen protector - that's best way w/o changing anything to monitor f.e. one of those:

http://computers.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/ ... 86.c0.m282 - I did not found anything in Brando Shop but probably it's the matter of time when they start selling Anti Glare Screen Protectors for EeePC and AAA1...

melhiore, Sep 6, 2008
  6. hamburglar

hmraao

!!!
    !!!!!
    Actually, strange as it might sound, metal polish (silver is better than brass) will dull the surface of plastic screens. It's just that it can be quite difficult to achieve an even effect, and of course, you can't ever restore the original high-sheen finish. I really can't believe anyone wants to do this. I'd have thought people would be more interested in protecting the screen, surely? (Don't call me Shirly.)

hmraao, Sep 6, 2008
  7. hamburglar

burntbit

Try going in a closet. You won't be able to tell it's glossy if there's no background lighting. :p

burntbit, Sep 7, 2008
  8. hamburglar

SWAT Reaper

If have an old and broken LCD monitor, you could remove the plastic overlay. You would have to remove the Aspire screen bezel, cut and install the new overlay in place of the old one and then reinstall the bezel. Job done. Going by the other posts on her, most of you would attempt this with your eyes closed! LOL ;)

SWAT Reaper, Sep 7, 2008
  9. hamburglar

atarione

the only viable /cost effective option would seem to me to get a antiglare screen protector.

most of the other suggestions sound like a recipe for disaster.

atarione, Sep 7, 2008
  10. hamburglar

dattaway

sandblaster

dattaway, Sep 7, 2008
  11. hamburglar

zwan33

zwan33, Aug 28, 2009
  12. hamburglar

sunyata

sunyata, Aug 31, 2009
Ask a Question