Any tips for getting an old netbook to run new again?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Baniclips, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Baniclips

Baniclips

I've reinstalled Windows on the thing, it's an Acer Aspire One. Older specs, but just two years ago was running like a dream. Now it is slow in everything, even managing files in Windows Explorer takes a long time. It's like the cursor takes very many seconds to finish displaying/processing the various commands I input.

None of the components have been upgraded. It has a 1GHz processor, 2GB of ram, admittedly very low specifications but should be able to handle a little more than it does. Even opening up notepad and typing away has lag in operation. Could this all by symptomatic of a failing processor?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Baniclips, Mar 14, 2014
  2. Baniclips

something back

You say you have reinstalled Windows, HAS THE PROBLEMS JUST STARTED AFTER RE-INSTALLING.
    WHICH VERSION OF WINDOWS?

With the cursor moving slowly this sound like a virus sorry to say. unless it's windows 8 you are trying to run the acer one should be fine.
    not to slow.

Download two files to see if it's a virus

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    AND S&D search and destroy

These CAN BE FOUND AT www.freewarefiles.com

something back, Mar 14, 2014
    Baniclips likes this.
  3. Baniclips

mikelouis

It depends on the type of operating system that you are running. For the specs that you have mentioned, it will run like new if only you install windows xp on it. I think that is far the best light running operating system for your computer.

mikelouis, Mar 15, 2014
    Baniclips likes this.
  4. Baniclips

bobthemuffinman

I think that it is basically a lost cause. Those low specs mean basically doing anything to it will still be limited by the processor. I would say just get a new laptop.

bobthemuffinman, Mar 16, 2014
    Baniclips likes this.
  5. Baniclips

Brian8gbSSDLinux

After a few months of use - Windows has Gigabytes of HIDDEN files littered around... First, it builds a 'Swap/Paging File' (Virtual Memory) on the Hard disk (HDD)- then it makes Hidden back-ups (System Restore) of your System on the HDD; and to rub salt into the wound, Windows uses another 10% of the HDD for the RECYCLE BIN.
    This means your ACTUAL Hard drive (HDD) space for the system to work with is limited and your computer will run S-L-O-W...

For a start I suggest, you go into Program Files > SYSTEM > Advanced and look for 'Virtual Memory' - In there if it is Windows managed or has only got ONE value - un-select Windows managed, Choose Custom size then give it a value 1 & 1/2 your Actual RAM - if RAM is 512Mb make initial size AND Max. size end 1536Mb THEN click the SET button - THAT limits how much of your HDD will be used for "Virtual RAM"

Turn OFF System Restore facility, Reboot Netbook - re-enable System Restore... WOW! lots of freed up space...

THEN Right click the Recycle Bin in 'Properties' change it from 10% to say 4%

You might also like to do a Rootkit/Virus scan using Malwarebytes ANTI ROOTKIT Beta from here
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/downloads/#beta

This will 'root' right down in the System and find any 'nasties' if there are any. (recommended MONTHLY !

Hope this is Helpful

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Mar 21, 2014
    Baniclips and something back like this.
  6. Baniclips

something back

Brian has made some very valid points on the windows files acquisition.

You can also remove unnecessary files by going to the start icon
    and typing cleanup. This will remove extra windows backup type files.
    Again Helping the hidden 'Swap/Paging File' operations.

something back, Mar 21, 2014
    Baniclips likes this.
  7. Baniclips

Baniclips

Thank you so much for the help and tips, everyone!

The problems have been on-going, I just noted having re-installed Windows 7 since that didn't make any difference in the performance and I was expecting it would.

I'm going to try

- Scanning with Malwarebytes and S&D and checking for rootkits.

- Possibly putting Windows XP on there, as Windows 7 may be asking a bit much of the hardware even though that was the default OS.

- I had no clue about possible issues with the paging file, I'll follow those directions as well and do cleanup.

I'll let everyone know how it went and it it helped in this old netbook's performance. If anyone has any other tips I'll try those as well. Thank you all for the very helpful replies!

Baniclips, Mar 24, 2014
  8. Baniclips

something back

something back, Mar 24, 2014
  9. Baniclips

babyleans

i think the problem is with the operating system. try with different operating systems (in descending order) and it will probably work. if it's a relatively older model then start with windows xp.

babyleans, Apr 5, 2014
Ask a Question