Any recommendations for a good wireless router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LadyK, May 13, 2009.

1. LadyK

LadyK

I've never actually bought one before, but need it, and need some suggestions on a really good one that is reliable, but not too expensive. Any suggestions?

LadyK, May 13, 2009
  2. LadyK

jackluo923

If you're looking for a wireless G router, Linksys WRT54GL or WRT54GS. The router is very reliable especially with custom firmware such as DD-WRT.

jackluo923, May 14, 2009
  3. LadyK

Rich in ILM

Couldn't agree more. I have a couple of them installed and they just keep running. I use DD_WRT but the OEM firmware is fine also. Get the WRT54GS if you want a bit more speed.

Rich in ILM, May 14, 2009
  4. LadyK

OldPhil

My son has a 54gs on his big machine, on his second and also on his laptop he only gets 10m, I have a WRT160N both of my remote machines run a 54m. My vote goes to getting the WRT160N it is dual band G&N, range is great over 200 feet from the router. Plus you can find them a some real decent prices.

Phil

OldPhil, May 16, 2009
  5. LadyK

Rich in ILM

Just a point of clarification. I'm sure all these routers are fine and very functional but the 54m only indicates the possible connection speed between computer and router, as far as I know it isn't the throughput to the actual WAN. Not many ISPs give you much more than 8 to 12 mbs.

Rich in ILM, May 17, 2009
  6. LadyK

OldPhil

That is a obvious given, shown and actual vary greatly. I am speaking of what is shown, and noticing the page load time difference. We are both on Optonline he is about four miles closer to there offices and I feel must be getting a little better signal. I need to run an actual speed test with my laptop at both locations, I am pretty sure watching page load that the 54g is quite a bit slower then the 160N, I will try to do that this RAINY day!!

Phil

OldPhil, May 17, 2009
  7. LadyK

Rich in ILM

I think with broadband cable, particularly if it is a cable fiber hybrid, the distance shouldn't make a speed difference unless you are so far out you have a poor S/N.
    What can make a big difference is the TCP Receive window setting and if known and unknown background programs are grabbing bandwidth.
    Just as a point of reference, I am getting around 15 mb down and .52 up at night when the kiddies aren't all on. This is using a wrt54gs Linksys on a Road Runner Turbo account. Don't know about a WRT54g.

Rich in ILM, May 17, 2009
  8. LadyK

Tomba

Tomba, Jun 29, 2009
Ask a Question