Any Previous Eee 701 Owners?

Discussion in 'Asus Eee PC' started by bit-ninja, Jul 23, 2008.

1. bit-ninja

bit-ninja

I currently have a 4G black EeePC and decided to go with the One as my "upgrade". I was waiting on the 901 Linux model to get a bigger screen, but saw the great deal on the Acer. Suffice to say, my One should arrive from NewEgg tomorrow. :D

I would like know what other Eee owners think of the One. Are you happy with the Acer?

Thanks.

bit-ninja, Jul 23, 2008
  2. bit-ninja

Davidcowling

i was planning on getting an EEE but held out because i thought that a couple more manufacturers would latch onto the 'phenomenon'.

Now theres offerings from

Asus
    Acer
    MSI
    Sony
    Samsung
    Medion
    Hp

the list goes on........

After coming so close to buying an Asus EEE 701, im glad i held out and now i really think that the Acer is the one to have.

just need to get an extra battery, another gig of ram, possibly a beefier hdd, boot winxp off usb (saves 50 or so quid if youve got a copy of xp to put on a linux AA11)

Davidcowling, Jul 23, 2008
  3. bit-ninja

lala

I checked out the 900 and 901 the 8.9 screen was nice what i didnt like was the touch pad it moves the the icons which gets anoyin im just waitin now for the windows xp version of the aspire one i aslo like the portabilty of the one that touch screen on the 900 and 901 turned me off oh and one more thing i dont know if its just the windows version but when you gotta put the password in to use the comp i dnt like how if you forget it you click the lil red button and it tells you the password to me it shouldnt have it if it will show people it i found out when i was in jandr in manhattan

lala, Jul 23, 2008
  4. bit-ninja

Davidcowling

you do need one..... lol

Davidcowling, Jul 24, 2008
  5. bit-ninja

komodo

I still have my 701. And I bought a One the other day. I doubt this will be the end of it. Probably, we'll get some more of these things, like an eee 1000h, an eee Box...things like that. All in all, we now have 4 netbooks, two laptops and a bunch of (some working) desktops. :geek: I'd say there's room for more :mrgreen:

Any way, yeah, i am happy with the One, although I am NOT happy about linpus linux. But that could just be me not liking RPM based distro's at all. Always brings back memories of dependency hell, especially when the yum repo's that Acer apparently uses do not contain the RPMs to actually allow for resolving of dependencies. Thát I do not like. That, and the fact that when one package fails to get installed, all other packages marked for download are suspended as well. I'll stick with it, to see if i can learn to love it... :ugeek:

komodo, Jul 29, 2008
  6. bit-ninja

icouldiwill

I have an Eee 701 running on XP. I'm a power user and I do all sorts of things with it, Office, Photoshop, music, divx, games, google earth, whatever you like. It's flawless except for some action games that require hardware accelleration (which I don't play anyway). I'm very surprised with its close to perfect performance.

And I just bought an AA1 on Linux for my girlfriend (who's not so great with computers). It is very neat, simple and easy to use. When we wanted to update and install things though we realized that Linux is not Windows. I love the idea of open source but it takes lots and lots of learning. It's simply a whole new world. I don't know if switching to Mac could be harder but most of last week we had our heads in our two monitors reading manuals and how-to's and still slowly getting there. It is very suitable if you want to just use what is in there but if you want to install other stuff (like we are doing) to edit photos, to record sound, etc. then you need to have patience.

I like the looks of AA1 better than Eee and the keyboard is also nicer and bigger, although I have no problems with my Eee's keyboard. Its touchpad is a joke in comparison to Eee's but it has proper Pg Up and Pg Dn keys.

We were also worried about the web support at first. Asus has been doing a great job in that sense and the AA1 manual is completely useless. We've been looking around to find a Linpus Linux manual but couldn't find it yet. But we are happy to find this forum and others like this one.

Another thing I prefer my Eee over AA1 is it's perfect size. When I'm in bed I pick up a normal sized book, put it under my white beauty and watch my film. With AA1 you need a bigger book which will also be heavier :)

icouldiwill, Aug 5, 2008
  7. bit-ninja

Davidcowling

but its a much bigger screen, which i prefer for movies.

get some abs of steel to put your AA1 on

Davidcowling, Aug 5, 2008
  8. bit-ninja

bit-ninja

Well I have had some time to get to know my One and have to say that I am liking the bigger screen and keyboard. For me, it seems to make the machine much more usable than the 701. That said, I guess I might have been satisfied by an Asus 900 for about the same price, but the keyboard would have still been harder to use.

bit-ninja, Aug 5, 2008
  9. bit-ninja

corowakid

Still got my eee701 - I prefer the Xandros system over the Linpus. Seems Acer wants to make sure the average user doesn't stray far from the original instal configuration.

Love the A110 screen, way better. Keyboard is easier to use also. Touchpad isn't its best feature, although the scroll action seems more reactive.

Worked with BB straight out of the box, altho a little slow to find the network. The 701 is really fast that way.

I've done some small hacks, altho installing another OS isn't on my list - I've got an iMac, a PC dual-booted with Linux and XP, and a PC dual-booted with Vista and PCLinux, so I can get my Linux kicks that way. The desktop is neat on the A110, and the icons look good. I've installed Thunderbird and replaced the Acer mail program's icon. Works a treat.

Battery life isn't as good as 701 (naturally) but it charges quicker. I won't be a candidate for the 6 cell battery, as the 2.5-3hours I'm getting now is enough and the cell price is exorbitant.

Not sure if I'll sell the 701 - a is typical the resale values are way done on the price I paid, so I might as well keep it or give it grandsons for his uni work. Or maybe I'll give him the A1 - will make that decision in due course.

corowakid, Aug 14, 2008
  10. bit-ninja

mallard

I also have an EEE 701. Bought the AA1 since I was beginning to have issues with the 701's keyboard (unresponsive keys) and liked the larger screen, faster processor and more storage space.

Since I got the AA1 for less than I paid for the 701 and finally made use of the 8GB SD card that I could never get to work reliably with the 701, I am quite pleased with it.

As far as software goes, I replaced the 701's Xandros with Xubuntu the first day I got it, and I will probably install Ubuntu on the AA1 when a few more of the issues are sorted.

Just wish Acer had put a RAM access panel on it...

mallard, Aug 26, 2008
  11. bit-ninja

sideways

The Eee 701 4GB has these advantages over the Aspire One:

Boots from sdhc cards (enables running alternative OSes easy)
    Better quality speakers.
    @900Mhz Overclock it is a little faster than the One, and battery life is about the same.
    Easily upgradeable ram option.
    It is slightly smaller and fits in my coat pocket, the Aspire One doesn't.
    It has a better user community, a superb forum and wiki (Although it's early days for the Aspire One yet)

The Aspire One has these advantages ove the Eee 701 4GB:

Bigger screen
    Bigger & better keyboard
    More hard disk/ssd disk space

I still use my Eee, will set it up fo my young daughter to thrash in a year or so :)

sideways, Aug 26, 2008
  12. bit-ninja

AA1-1277

Well I have the 8G (702) model. One comparison worth noting is if the ASUS will PnP a data CD. Ummmm... nope without a serious hack. Coming from older PC's to a netbook I was shocked to find USB stick only. A note to ASUS: when vendors start selling retail software on USB stick, then disable ISO 9660 compatibility... not before.

In spite of that glaring error, the 8G is the predecessor to the current selection of Acer-ware. It does have SLC SSD, which the Acer lacks. Transfer speeds 30-35 Mb/sec read and 20-25 Mb/sec write. Then again, Acer has 9" screen with Atom and a better KB. But the memory upgrade is APITA. It really needs 1Gb as std.

Price is a no brainer... $329 vs. $499. Guess which one is $499? :p

AA1-1277, Aug 26, 2008
  13. bit-ninja

mallard

Do you have any figures for that? While I've never taken my 701 over the 630MHz stock clock, according to /proc/cpuinfo, the 701 gets ~1200 bogomips, whereas the AA1 gets ~3200, surely going from 630 to 900MHz couldn't speed it up that much? I know bogomips aren't the most scientific CPU bechmark, but still...

mallard, Aug 27, 2008
  14. bit-ninja

sideways

Bogomips isn't a comparative measure of performance, you need to run a real-world calculation such as super_pi, eg see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1792

sideways, Aug 27, 2008
  15. bit-ninja

AA1-1277

mallard:
    Also of note is the different processors... the 701 is a Celeron, the ACER is a new ATOM. The Atom supports threading of the single core, which the Celeron can't. Going to 900 MHz won't get close to the 3200 score. But, using a real world app won't illustrate the difference as both CPU's are reletively equal in apps. There are a host of benchies on the net that show +/- 5% either way depending on the app. Call it a coin-toss. Now, when the Atom's 945/950 gets replaced with a less power hungry animal, the battery life will drastically improve.

AA1-1277, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question