Any more ways to stop constant SSD writes under XP?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by terence, Apr 6, 2009.

1. terence

terence

I've carried out pretty much all the configuration I know about so far to reduce SSD writes under XP -- no Pagefile, turned off System Restore, Hibernation and even the Recycle Bin. But I'm still getting a lot of writes to the SSD during normal operations, slowing things down. Are there any other modifications members can suggest to get my existing XP installation as lean and mean (and mainly write-free) as possible?

And before anyone asks, no, unfortunately I wasn't able to preconfigure and thus cut-down my XP (Pro) installation using nLite or similar -- it just didn't work despite repeated attempts, so I had to do a normal XP install. So there could be plenty of room still to trim some fat.

(BTW, a useful little freebie for closer monitoring of SSD activity is DriveGleam, which replicates the HDD activity LED on the Taskbar, but with (apparent) greater accuracy and it colour-differentiates between reads and writes. Some download sites are dodgy, so Google then trial and error if you want it).

Thanks!

terence, Apr 6, 2009
  2. terence

ronime

ronime, Apr 6, 2009
  3. terence

terence

Thanks, tried that (Flashpoint) but like several users on that thread, it bluescreened my XP so no luck. Tried eBooster too but it was taking forever each time to shift information from the SSD to the (RAM and SD-card) cache so I ended up ditching it.

terence, Apr 6, 2009
  4. terence

avio

I also had the same problem with Flaspoint and blue screen. I then installed the updated version and it's great. Try it.

avio, Apr 6, 2009
  5. terence

terence

As I just wrote in the thread devoted to FlashPoint, I decided to take a chance (after having BSOD's badly with it last time) and try the improved Flashpoint. 'Wondrous' doesn't even begin to describe it..... So good in fact that stick a decent monitor on the little AAO, add an external keyboard and I could even imagine using this as my all-day workhorse -- where previously the delays were driving me nuts!

terence, Apr 7, 2009
Ask a Question