Anti-Virus

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Mzpeaceful1, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1

What would you suggest would be the best "Anti-Virus" software to use? I have tried various ones and still had issues so bad that I had to buy a new computer so I am constantly skeptical of which one is the best or if any of them even keep up with the newest virus's. Right now I am just using an Acer Chromebook and it can't really get a virus but it isn't really a laptop either and I am getting ready to purchase a new laptop.

Mzpeaceful1, Sep 20, 2015
  2. Mzpeaceful1

sparkster

What makes you think that an Acer Chromebook cannot get a virus? Don't ever listen to anyone who tells you that a computer can not get a virus. ANY computer, including Apple Macs (despite so much misinformation) CAN get a virus. If it switches on and runs programs then it can be infected with a virus, it's really as simple as that. Even the old Commodore Amigas from decades ago could be infected with viruses. The best antivirus in my opinion and experience is Avast. I changed to it a few years ago and have never gone back to any of the others, not even the top brand names.

sparkster, Sep 20, 2015
  3. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1

It's not really a computer. It's in a cloud and there is actually no way to download an anti virus to it. So if you could tell me how it could get a virus, that would be helpful. It does not hold any software on it nor can I put ant software on it. It's like a tablet in a way but looks like a little laptop. i basically use it for social networking, facebook, twitter, my blog and my writing but even those files I am going to have to figure out how to configure once I get my laptop.

Mzpeaceful1, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Mzpeaceful1

sparkster

If it switches on and it computes/calculates then it is a computer. What do you mean by "it's in a cloud" - that statement doesn't make any sense. Do you mean it uses cloud computing? Also, if it doesn't hold any software and you cannot install any software then how on Earth are you accessing Facebook and Twitter? Additionally, if it holds no software then how does it even switch on and power up? It requires software to be able to do all those things. Without software it would switch on and you would have nothing but a blank screen. Absolutely any system in the entire universe can be exploited or manipulated if you know how it works. The most simplest example I can give you of malicious software is tracking cookies. Without accepting cookies you would not even be able to open a web page. Cookies can be used to spy on your internet activities.

sparkster, Sep 20, 2015
  5. Mzpeaceful1

Sefie

I'm not sure what the best antivirus out there is, but I do know I had a really good experience with Nod32! I also liked Karspersky. I used it some years ago, and I thought it was a great anti virus. It managed to catch several things Northon and the others couldn't.

Sefie, Sep 21, 2015
  6. Mzpeaceful1

IcyBC

There are many popular brands that you can try for free, such as AVG, McAfee and Avast! I am a long time user of Avast and I never had any problem with it, but one thing I need to point out is that I don't down load anything like music, video, or movie. I am not sure how it will work out for you though if you do a lots of downloading.

IcyBC, Sep 21, 2015
    nytegeek likes this.
  7. Mzpeaceful1

nytegeek

For a chrome book, Intelligent Computing, should suffice in most cases. When you buy a new laptop I'm guessing it will have Microsoft Windows as the operating system. That being the case you will absolutely need an antivirus solution. The only good way to choose an antivirus is by looking over independent testing results done by one of the major labs. Keep in mind that these change frequently along with the threats so you should do this a couple times a year or at least before renewing a subscription on a paid product ideally. Don't let rumor or price be the deciding factor. Their are plenty of free options that score as well or better than some of the paid ones. AV-test.org is one of the sites you can do some research at.

nytegeek, Sep 21, 2015
    something back likes this.
  8. Mzpeaceful1

Krissttina Isobe

I found an anti virus and anti spyware from Microsoft that's totally free called Security Essentials. I've tried it and it sped up my library netbook loan a lot. I like it and it works great. It's free and fast to uninstall too.

Krissttina Isobe, Feb 24, 2016
  9. Mzpeaceful1

Corzhens

My anti-virus is Symantec, a licensed anti-virus issued by our office for laptop users. Since my laptop has no internet (it was disabled last year due to unresolved issues) and even the USB socket is also disabled, it seems that contamination with virus is almost nil. Some people are wondering why our office is that strict. Well, our IT department has a phobia with computer virus so all measures are taken to minimize the probability of contamination.

Corzhens, Feb 24, 2016
  10. Mzpeaceful1

nytegeek

Please install literally ANY other free antivirus product. They all have better detection rates and removal than Microsoft Security Essentials.

nytegeek, Feb 25, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  11. Mzpeaceful1

vinaya

I am using Kaspersky, however, my license will end in two days. Before my antivirus expires, I need to either renew the license or install another antivirus. In the last one year, when I began using kaspersky, I encounter no problem. I use internet all the time, I connect various memory devices but my laptop did not encounter any problem.

vinaya, Mar 11, 2016
  12. Mzpeaceful1

Jonah_JJ

As far as what the best anti-virus is, I think to begin with it's a moot point if you have nothing on your device. If you are running a chrome notebook I would check google support sites and see if the recommend anything. In general, though, if you are on a PC of any kind it would be better to have a free anti-virus while you're deciding which one to go with because if you're not protected you'll get gunky.
    Personally I usually use Avast!(free) and it usually does a good enough job. Good luck!

Jonah_JJ, Mar 15, 2016
  13. Mzpeaceful1

roger1003

I use Norton and my laptop is safe so far. Whenever I search for the best antivirus in the internet, Nod32 comes out very often. They also say it consumes little memory. I'm going to try it.

roger1003, Mar 22, 2016
Ask a Question