Answer quick...keep my linux model or trade in for xp?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by mommalden, Aug 31, 2008.

1. mommalden

mommalden

From what I read the linux model runs faster but I have decided I HATE Linux. I am a windows gal and can not figure out how to navigate this linux system and have been at it for a week and a half. I have 14 days to return and I am planning on going up tomorrow to do so unless someones got something to tell me on how to get xp on this thing fast!!! and EASY as I am NOT a techy. :|

mommalden, Aug 31, 2008
  2. mommalden

Elllipsis

There aren't many easy ways to put XP on it that don't involve some basic techiness and after that you need to install drivers and all that good stuff on XP. I would thus suggest you return it for an XP model just to minimize any headaches.

Elllipsis, Aug 31, 2008
  3. mommalden

hmraao

Trade-in, it is then:(

Seriously, though, if the Linux model doesn't do what you want it to do straight out of the box, and you're not a techie, then there's no quick solution, other than paying the M$ dollar. Windows may be much maligned, but (more than) nine out of ten owners say their cats prefer it, or at least something like that.

Don't be ashamed of admitting defeat. Life is too short:)

hmraao, Aug 31, 2008
  4. mommalden

mommalden

That was basically my thought but I've been known to do rash things and driving and hour and a half to return this and order the xp version and then find out I was better off before would suck! :?

mommalden, Aug 31, 2008
  5. mommalden

DigitalNinja

I did the same thing, here it was only 50 bucks more for the XP version, and I got a bigger hard drive as well as an extra 512 mb of ram. It was a great deal in my opinion, I also find boot up is only just a tad slower than linux on it.

DigitalNinja, Aug 31, 2008
  6. mommalden

atarione

i have a whole ton more Windows experience than linux, but i have messed with Linux some in the past.

I bought the linux version because I wanted to "force" myself to make the linux work for what I needed to get done with this thing..and 2weeks on w/ a bit of banging my head onto my desk and with some VERY valuable assistance from this forum

my A110 is doing everything I need it to do

a. Openvpn
    b. vlc installed
    c. Putty installed
    d. wine up and running (CS, mameui32..etc)
    e. least "urgently" but almost most frustrating to resolve my usb gamepad is up and running

oh yeah.. tired of list making but the XFCE desktop up , ZSNES and probably other things I'm forgetting.

eventually I really should set up Samba but for now I have access to the VNC (for admining servers on the windows network) and access to my FTP server that resides behind my firewall via the VPN.

however I guess I welcomed the challenge of getting more familiar with linux and quite honestly getting what I needed done in windows would have be a whole butt load easier (well familiar hence easier really) . I you really aren't diggin the learning opportunities you probably should get on swapping for XP really.

atarione, Aug 31, 2008
  7. mommalden

Sid

Yes faster.
    That is one big sweeping statement, do you really mean Linux or the interface?
    If you only have the simple interface running, that is not representative of Linux.
    (But I know an 82 year old lady that uses that interface every day - Skype, web use and email, and is very happy with it. Her grandchildren tried to take her One away, not likely, she loves that machine - her first computer).

What was the list of reasons you bought the One?
    What things do you need it to do?
    What makes you think you need Linux?
    Remember the One is a tool, it is better when you can use it; Most things will be "done" with a program or application, so M$ or Linux are not the main issue.

In the end you make the call, it is your time and money.

Sid, Aug 31, 2008
  8. mommalden

chmodx

Well, I can tell you this much: realistically, unless you planning on using the Aspire One only for the word processing and light wbe browsing, it's good for that. If you want to do run your Windows apps, etc., you can forget it on that 8GB SSD.

It's too slow. It's UNGODLY slow. I tried to agree for the past several weeks that installing it with a FAT32, disabling this and that, and it ran ok. It ran like shit. Literally, installing something that would take under a minute on a regular hard drive takes 4-5 minutes on the SSD.

After 2.5 weeks, I've given up on mine and it's on ebay right now. I even did the upgrade to 1.5gb of ram, it helped to an extent, but there's no getting around the absolutely dreadful SSD performnace.

chmodx, Aug 31, 2008
  9. mommalden

yatfu

If you have the time to do some research: keep it. If you don't have the time or are not willing to do the research and simply want a nice little machine with software that's familiar to you: trade it in.

I bought mine back in july and my machine has a very slow SSD, so it's not possible to really run windows . This kinda forced me into trying out linux, since selling it and then buying the XP version seemed like to much of a hassle to me. Now, almost 2 months later, I've got my aspire one running just the way I want it. It still runs the linpus OS, but with help of some of the forum members and some research I've done myself, it looks better and runs faster than (I think) Windows will ever do on this machine. The xfce desktop with compiz effects looks great, the machine boots up in about 15 sec and apps load really fast. Now I only have to buy some extra storage (sdhc), and I'm a happy man.

yatfu, Aug 31, 2008
  10. mommalden

hmraao

While Sid makes some very valid points, there's no point in brow beating M$ users into Linux submission. If it's grannie's and her grandchildren's first computer, then of course it's no harder for them to get to know than a Windows machine would be.

Consider the apocryphal tale of the CEO from Redmond who complained that he was disappointed that Moore's Law didn't apply to the motor industry, and who was told by the CEO from Detroit that if it did, every driver in America and the rest of the World would have to learn to drive anew every 6 to 18 months.

Ok. So that probably isn't the best story I could have come up with to illustrate my point. But, never underestimate the amount of effort it takes to change horses in mid-race, and don't be surprised if the jokey stays in the saddle 'til the finishing post, even if that means they don't come first.

hmraao, Aug 31, 2008
  11. mommalden

Sid

Very true, granny is the user who has no experience takes her no more effort to learn the interface, the kids are windows users (but the kids learn fast).

I certainly wasn't attempting to brow beat, see my comment: "In the end you make the call, it is your time and money".

The real issue is that most folk know the One was not designed for anything but the apps it is loaded with.
    To buy it for unsuitable tasks or applications is like buying a 1965 Caddy and complaining it cannot take corners like an f1 car.

Horses for courses.

Sid, Aug 31, 2008
  12. mommalden

lems

I have been using Linux on my Eee since Christmas, and while I enjoyed it, I'm much happier with XP on my One. There are just too many little programs I missed. It was slightly more frustrating loading the usual Windows updates when I was first setting it up, etc, but once you get past that, it's just easier. Boots up a little slower, but you're using the OS a lot more of the time than booting it up, so I'd rather have what I want on it.

Linux was fun, while it lasted. :D

lems, Aug 31, 2008
  13. mommalden

Spyder

This is exactly what I plan on using my One for - learning Linux. I'd love to have a One with XP, but it didn't fit my price range, nor would it really do me any good. At least this way I can get some Linux experience, which goes a long way in tech industry.

Spyder, Aug 31, 2008
  14. mommalden

pict1201

For me one of the attractions of the Linux version is the fact that it comes with all the programmes you need for what it was designed for. My wife has an Advent 4211 (XP) and of course the first thing we had to do was install ant-virus/Firewall/anti-spyware programs together with the apps she wanted. All this adds to the cost.
    Having said that I've messed about with Linux for many years, so I'm happy with the OS. In the end, you pays your money and makes your choice.

pict1201, Aug 31, 2008
  15. mommalden

walter

I have the XP version (1GB memory + 120BGB hard disk) and unless your eyes are better than mine (distinctly possible),
    the screen seems awfully small for running most windows programs. The Windows XP version runs fine. But a set of applications designed
    for running on a small screen would be very useful. The best wordprocessor for my eyes that I've found so far is Lyx (a mathematical wordprocessor)
    which is a chore to install.
    I'm going to install linux in dual boot mode so I that I have both. I like linux better, but having access to some windows programs would be handy.
    --Walter

walter, Aug 31, 2008
  16. mommalden

Sid

Sid, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question