Another wireles disconnection problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by phuzt, Dec 30, 2008.

1. phuzt

phuzt

I have the Linux AAO and it randomly disconnects from the wireless - sometimes it's when it's idle, sometimes it's when I'm using it. When it happens I go into Connection Manager, click on connect and nothing happens.

The light on the front is still on and if I turn the wireless on and off again, not only does it not do anything, but the light stays on too.

According to ifconfig, I have no ath0, so it looks like that's the problem. I've stopped it doing power save and sleeping, so it's definitely not anything to do with those.

Has anyone found a solution to this because it's getting quite annoying now - the only way I can reconnect to the wireless network is to turn the laptop off, leave it a few minutes, then turn it back on again.

phuzt, Dec 30, 2008
  2. phuzt

phuzt

phuzt, Jan 1, 2009
  3. phuzt

biff

Now and again my Acer wireless light turns off and I lose connection. If I flick the switch the picture on the screen appears saying that the wireless has been turned off. When I flick the switch again I get the picture saying that the wireless has been turned on but the light does not come back on. Restarting the acer does not always sort the problem. I sometimes have to shutdown and turn on the acer to get the light to come back on. Is this a common problem? Does anyone know the command I need to execute to turn on the wireless or is the switch the only way to do this?

Cheers for you help and sorry if this has already been answered.

Biff

biff, Feb 15, 2009
  4. phuzt

Rich in ILM

A, not obvious, problem is overheating.
    The vent holes on the bottom of the PC have to be kept clear. If the PC gets hot the first thing to shut down seems to be the WiFi card. This became very clear when I never had problems and my daughter did. She was always using the Acer on a soft surface that blocked the vent holes.

Rich in ILM, Feb 15, 2009
Ask a Question