Annoying creaking noise coming from left side of case

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by bonglord, Jun 18, 2009.

1. bonglord

bonglord

Hi Everyone,

I've had a good look around to see if anyone else has had this problem with their AAO, but found nothing, so here we go.
    After carefully opening and upgrading my AAO 110 to 1.5GB of RAM there has been an irritating, creaking type of noise coming from the area just to the right of the touchpad. When I gently press the case in the effected area I can see the seam where the two edges of the case are meant to be joined move. I attach a picture highlighting the areas which cause this creaking noise to happen the most.

[​IMG]

Since adding the extra RAM I have re-opened the case to check to see if everything is in order, which it is.

My question is; is there anyone out there who has had the same problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

It's getting to the stage where I'm thinking of supergluing the seam where the two parts of the case meet shut permanently. Since I have upgraded the RAM to it's maximum amount and there are no other upgrades that I'm interested in I can't think of a reason not to. ...

Thanks,

bonglord, Jun 18, 2009
  2. bonglord

DutchDK

Thats the area where the WiFi card is located. Did you remember to screw the WiFi card down again, and not just have it plugged into the PCI-e connector ? Not fixing the WiFi card with the screw, would probably make that area "squeak" when typing or using the Touchpad.

DutchDK, Jun 19, 2009
  3. bonglord

garrovick

Might be some thing eternal, like posted by DutchDK. I have a very slight gap in the very same spot, but no creaking.

garrovick, Jun 19, 2009
  4. bonglord

Tamrac

Try a very tiny amount of Silicone based lubricant in the area, that will stop the creak.... btw, silicone lubricants are non greasy and most are safe to be used on plastics... read the labels to make sure you have the right one. At least you won't nee to permanently glue down that area. You will never know if a component inside suddenly dies on you. Cheers. ;)

Tamrac, Jun 19, 2009
  5. bonglord

judeh101

it happened to me too, a very small dab of corn oil seemed to work ;)
    But then, Acer replaced the whole bottom part of my case. which is even better :)

judeh101, Jun 19, 2009
  6. bonglord

bonglord

Firstly - many thanks to everyone for your replies! A true testament to how great the AAO is!

I'm almost certain the WiFi card is screwed in properly - it was high on my list of parts to examine when I re-opened my case in investigate the source of the creaking. I might have to open the case again (depending on the response of my queries below.) If I have to re-re-open the case I will ensure that it is as tightly screwed as possible.

Thanks for the suggestion - sounds like a great non-destructive solution to my problem. Can you suggest any brands to look for? I will go to my local hardware shop tomorrow and see what is available. Unfortunately there are no decent electronics shops near my house, If the the hardware shop doesn't have the right stuff - silicone lube - can you suggest what type of shop (or website) may have it in stock? Too bad Durex lube (heat) probably wouldn't work :lol:

Corn oil - the stuff you cook with? Cool, I'd never thought of that. I might give this a try. Can you describe how you applied it? I'm thinking of applying the oil on a cotton bud, in between the seam of the two parts of the cases, the cotton bud being thinly coated with corn oil.

Did you open the case up when doing it? Did you apply any oil on the inside?

More importantly how did you get a new case from Acer! Pray tell!

I really hope it's not an eternal problem ;)

bonglord, Jun 19, 2009
  7. bonglord

judeh101

lol! yup, I used a cotton swab. Then, I applied the oil onto the seam or the "spot" you were talking about (you would have to take the machine apart in order to do this)
    Secondly, My netbook keyboard was simply dead, and my fan got changed too. (I had my bottom half of the case broken before I sent it to them :lol: )
    And I hated the flickering LCD screen too (some how, the screen arrived cracked). I phoned acer and blamed both problems on them, and they agreed to change it. :p keep in mind, this would only work if you've RMAed your system.

judeh101, Jun 20, 2009
  8. bonglord

donec

Be very careful about over tightening screws, they may break off or strip. The best answer would be to apply a drop of Blue Loctite removable strength to the thread of the screw and then tighten until snug but not too tight. An alternative would be to tighten the screw until snug not over tight and then add a drop of finger nail polish or some other Lacquer or a drop of wax to the head of the screw. Note do not use glue as it might make getting the screw out almost impossible.

donec, Jun 20, 2009
Ask a Question