Angry Computer Repairman

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Novelangel, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Novelangel

Novelangel

Okay, I'm posting in here because this is not about a laptop, but rather a desktop computer. My husband and I went to visit his mom recently, and when we returned, our main computer, that we'd just used that morning, refused to turn on. So guessing it was a burned out power supply, we used another computer to locate a service center nearby. Or at least we thought it was a certified service center. It turned out to be some dude working out of his apartment.

Anyway, we called him, and his answering service said he was on vacation. So we started researching other places. But an hour or so later, he called us back, all excited to talk to us and eager to get working on our P.C. So we drove the machine over there and left it with him. He called us a few hours later, telling us that yes, it was only the power supply unit that had broken down. Whew. What a relief. Those are fairly easy to replace.

At that time, he told us he had a brand new unit on hand and for $100.00 (parts and labor) he would install it for us. We agreed and assumed he was getting busy on that. Since this was better than many of the prices we'd been quoted, it sounded okay to us. We would have our computer the next day.

The next day he called and told us that the power supply unit he had was an old one and unreliable, so he would have to order a new one. Price would remain the same but we would get our computer back in a couple days. I paused to ask my husband what he wanted us to do, and the guy got mad, started yelling stuff about how he'd worked a long time on this and he's a busy man and all that. "Call me back when you make a decision!"

I was shocked that a repair professional was acting that unprofessional over the phone. But we decided to allow the repair anyway and texted him. He responded right away, again all happiness and charm.

The next thing I knew, the very same day, he called me again and rambled on and on, (over a lousy connection so I could barely hear him) about how the real problem was in the mother board because the power supply unit only worked part of the time. So there were a couple options... both of which I'd never heard of and wanted him to explain to me. He politely did so, but very rapidly and then ordered me to have my husband call him in precisely 15 minutes.

My husband was at work and would not get off his shift for about 20 more minutes, but I texted him anyway. He called me on his way home and I told him to call the guy. He did so, and then called me again, stating that the man was very rude (again) and had just handed him the computer (for free) and told him to leave.

I know this is very long but has anyone ever encountered something like this? It seems extremely unprofessional to me, but I guess we learned our lesson about shopping around to save money. Never hurry up to get something done but always research it carefully before-hand.

Novelangel, Jul 13, 2016
  2. Novelangel

something back

Just because you are on a laptop forum does not mean we can not help with pc problems this includes repairs
    most of our users including me, may be of some help

something back, Jul 21, 2016
  3. Novelangel

IcyBC

Yes, about two years ago I took my laptop and my sister laptop in to this repair shop, and the guy who worked on the laptop were very rude. He was pushy for me to make a decision, and then after that, he ran in all type of problems, all types of excuses.

Needless to say, I have never been back there!

IcyBC, Jul 22, 2016
Ask a Question