An old game, not working

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MrDale93, Apr 23, 2019.

1. MrDale93

MrDale93

Afternoon,
    I recently bought my little one an old game to play on my laptop. The game is called 'Sheep', and the objective is to guide sheep back to their celestial ancestors. I know, it sounds gripping. Anyway, the specs for this game are not demanding by any stretch of the imagination, P11 233mhz processor, 4mb graphics card, 32mb system memory.
    My laptop is ancient, but it has no problem playing games like GTA San Andreas, NFSU2, it will play Oblivion all though the frame rate can be a bit low. The specs for these games, although they're not exactly demanding either are all a lot higher than they are for Sheep. I've installed it fine, running it on compatability mode for a Windows version recommended on the case, but the game wont go past the menu screen. The frame rate is ridiculously low, you have to press enter about 16,000 times for anything to happen, although I have this problem, the sound plays perfectly.
    The little one was gutted when it had finished installing but he couldn't play it, does any body have any suggestions to fix this? Hes occupied in the mean time playing the XB1, but hes wanting to get these sheep out of whatever shenanigans they've become enthralled in.

Cheers for reading, any help is much appreciated.
    Dale.

MrDale93, Apr 23, 2019
  2. MrDale93

Ian Administrator

Have you got a link to the game please Dale, and I'll take a look at what the problem may be :).

Which OS are you running at the moment?

Ian, May 1, 2019
  3. MrDale93

MrDale93

MrDale93, May 1, 2019
  4. MrDale93

Ian Administrator

Ian, May 9, 2019
  5. MrDale93

MrDale93

Thanks very much, and sorry for not replying in a while I'll download this and see

MrDale93, May 10, 2019
  6. MrDale93

PeterBroadway

Hmm, I wonder if the game ever worked again?

PeterBroadway, Jan 2, 2020
  7. MrDale93

PeterBroadway

Hello! Is anybody home? :)

PeterBroadway, Jan 3, 2020
  8. MrDale93

MrDale93

Hello!

I completely forgot Id posted this, and I use an email that's not my main one so when I went to see what messages I'd received there, I found the notifications for this site. Many apologies!

An update for the game.
    I never did get it running, after hours of trying a load of different things and even trying the game on an older laptop I could use on occasion, it seems the game just would not work for whatever reason.
    A few years later I now know a fair bit more about computer systems and the like, and my best guess would be that it just so happens to be one of them rare games that just won't fire up on a more modern OS or newer hardware, like the old 16 bit games, and as the game is only a smaller title it never got the support it needed to allow newer hardware to run it without glitches occuring. From what I remember it would work up until hitting the main menu and then become completely unusable. The frame rate would just say no, there was no mouse or cursor, and the sound would skip like an old damaged CD.

Once again, I'm sorry for being away for over two years and not getting back sooner, I could have left this and not bothered replying but knowing I'd done that would have annoyed me to no end.

MrDale93, Mar 7, 2022
Ask a Question