amsn installed but can not find it

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Karl, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Karl

Karl

after lots of effort getting autopacakage to work i downloaded amsn by opening with the generic installer tcl/tk 8.4 (which i have confirmed is also installed). It confirmed installation but i can not find it anywhere. Searched under files but no luck. Not sure where to go now and still learning linux. THe pre installed version of amsn is 0.96 which has the bug that doesn't allow me to connect to the msn network. uninstalled this just in case. Also tried installing the 0.97 version by following the amsn guidance notes but not got any further . ANyone got any ideas? thanks.

Karl, Mar 28, 2009
  2. Karl

daldred

3. Karl

Karl

Thanks for reply. Yes I have enabled menu and had expected, just as you said, to see the aMSN under the internet menu. It isn't though. I am suspicious about believing whether it has really installed even though the message said it had. Nothing else happened following that.

Karl, Mar 28, 2009
  4. Karl

daldred

Try running it from a terminal - that will tell you whether it's installed.

daldred, Mar 28, 2009
  5. Karl

Karl

Tried it as you said and i think that confirms it has not installed depsite the autopackage running and saying it had. Can't make enough sense of it to identify a solution. I have as an alternative tried kopete which seems decent enough. Thanks for help and hate to be defeated by this install so any other ideas most welcome

Karl, Mar 29, 2009
  6. Karl

Noodle1975

Should be in here if installed:

/usr/share/amsn

to find files, do alt+ft. Type kdsesu konqueror. Type your root password.

Konqueror will open -> go to window - show navigation panel. Click on root folder. In menus at the top of screen choose tools, then find file. Search for amsn.

I think on mine the icon is called fedora-amsn.desktop -> try searching for that maybe. Remember you need to add this in file:///mnt/home/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml

I have it in the blue area replacing app 3 which was the acer instant messager , so I just wrote:

<app sequence="3" acs="im">/usr/share/applications/fedora-amsn.desktop</app>

However I cannot remember if I had to copy the fedora-amsn.desktop file to that location.

Noodle1975, Mar 31, 2009
  7. Karl

Karl

THanks for response. Feel a little doomed on this one as the kdsesu command is not recognized. I did try again to find amsn file and i have only two results returned. One is the autopackage and the other is an amsn received folder. Then i have under desktop an amsn folder that contains further files e.g. webcam, log, smileys etc. There are config files but no install file. I did uninstall the old amsn that was outdated so would be surprisedf if they relate to this. The amsnreceived file is empty and the autopackage file when clicked twice does the install followed by confirmation but nothing progresses beyond this. Baffled and seem unable to clarify status so now not sure of a way forward.

Karl, Apr 4, 2009
  8. Karl

solpuerto

Hi Karl

Have you tried the search facility in File Manager to locate amsn? I do not have it installed or I would tell you where it is or if the search will be successful.
    Amsn is available through Package Manager i.e. Add/Remove Software.

solpuerto, Apr 5, 2009
  9. Karl

Noodle1975

Hi,

sorry, I did a mis-type it should be:

alt+f2
    and
    kdesu konqueror
    in the command line.

that will open the konqueror browser prompting for yout root password.

Try installing amsn this way:

http://amsn-project.net/wiki/InstallOnFedora

i.e. in root terminal. Do alt + f2. click on run in terminal check box and click ok.

type: su (then enter).
    type: your root password (then enter).
    type: yum install amsn amsn-plugins (then enter).

My amsn shows in the right-click desktop menu, under network, first in the list.......

I had to do some messing to get the audio to work for the webcam...it was just another plugin to install....I googled audio problem amsn aa1 or something to that effect.

Noodle1975, Apr 6, 2009
  10. Karl

Karl

Sorry been away so just caught up with last messages.
    Firstl konqueror. Still can't identify konqueror - did a search to see if iu have it and could only think to serach under add remove programs. Its not there. Am i going to need to install it or shoul it automatically be there.

Now following the other instruction i have installed amsn 0.96. Now this appears fine but as per the website which reports a bug i can not log on. It just endlessly tries. This is where I am attempting to download and install 0.97 as this apparently has the bugs fixed.
    Kopete working fine though but would still like to see amsn work.

Thanks for patience and all the help

Karl, Apr 11, 2009
  11. Karl

daldred

Konqueror is part iof the KDE dsktop, whih isn't installed on the One. All it's being used for is to find the amsn file - you can do that using the desktop search in the basdic Acer desktop; just put 'amsn' in the box, change the search from Yahoo to Desktop, and click the button.

daldred, Apr 12, 2009
  12. Karl

Karl

Thanks. Definitely dont seem to have amsn installed. WIll look to fathom out whythe autopackage for 0.97 is not installing correctly.

Karl, Apr 13, 2009
Ask a Question