Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by AdrianS, Mar 14, 2009.

1. AdrianS

AdrianS

How do I add and Remove programs from my Aspire One Linux?

I cannot find "Add/Remove Programs" anywhere on the machine!

AdrianS, Mar 14, 2009
  2. AdrianS

barrie

Hi Adrian,

If you have implemented the right click menu the just right click on the desktop and go to system in the drop down menu where you will find add and remove software.

If not then
    1.Open a terminal and type xfce-setting-show
    2.Open the desktop section and find the option show desktop menu on right click,it is under the behaviour tab and should be the second box make sure it is checked.

Then close all open windows and go back to the desktop and again right click.
    I am not sure if you have to reboot for it to take effect.

barrie, Mar 14, 2009
  3. AdrianS

Grim Squeaker

Acer in principle does not want you to install new applications on the Linpus version of the One, except for the ones they offer on their website: http://www.acer.com/aspireone/aspireone ... nnect.html

However, since Linpus is based on fedora, it can also use the fedora repositories, using an add/remove software program that is not shown on the fancy kiddy menu, but is in fact present on the machine*. How to make it accessible has been explained in the post above mine.
    Do note however that you will also wish to issue the following commands from the command line:
    Code:
    sudo yum update fedora-release
    Code:
    sudo rpm -Uvh [url]http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm[/url]
    Code:
    sudo rpm -Uvh [url]http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm[/url]
    to make sure you actually have access to the repositories (there were some changes since the One came on the market, and Acer did not consider it necessary to adapt).

Unfortunately there is a small catch. Well, two small catches.
    First - Linpus is merely *based on* fedora. It is not identical, and Acer tweaked quite a few files to be nonstandard. So it is possible that their modificatons will conflict with applications that do not expect them.

Second - Linpus is based on fedora 8. Fedora 8 is old, and considered to have reached end of life. That means many major programs will not be distributed for fedora 8 anymore; they expect you to have at least version 9 or 10. So unless you are willing to tweak and do research, you may have to be content with older versions.

* Or alternatively the commandline program "yum".

Grim Squeaker, Mar 14, 2009
Ask a Question