Always on or shut down every night?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by TessV, May 15, 2016.

1. TessV

aymelol

My laptop is usually off for most of the day. I definitely turn it off at night and there are days when I don't use it at all. I used to use it more often a few weeks ago, but even then I left it off at night since I only used it in the afternoons so once it was time for me to go to bed, I also shut down my laptop. I only left it on all night once because it was updating or something, but when I woke up I realized it must've shut down by itself because it was off.

aymelol, May 26, 2016
  2. TessV

vinaya

I also keep my laptop on in hibernate or sleep mode. In order to keep safe I shut down my laptop one in a week. So far I have never encountered any problems with my laptop.

vinaya, May 26, 2016
  3. TessV

nytegeek

Hibernate and sleep are not the same thing, which one are you using?

nytegeek, May 26, 2016
  4. TessV

lisasian86

I never turn my off unless I have to, I'm not sure why, probably just because I'm lazy but I've never had any problems with it. I just shut the lid and let it sleep until I use it again, maybe thats stupid but I'm not seeing any problems from doing it.

lisasian86, May 27, 2016
  5. TessV

filmjunkie08

I have always wondered if I could damage my laptop if if left it on 24/7. Fortunately, I have the choice of putting it to sleep or turning it off. I am training myself to turn the computer off if no one is waiting to use it after me. (I also think about the electricity use if I leave it on.)

filmjunkie08, May 27, 2016
  6. TessV

nytegeek

It's not stupid. You might experience slow downs if the computer was off when updates or maintenance was scheduled, but only until it finishes the missed updates or maintenance.

nytegeek, May 27, 2016
  7. TessV

lisasian86

It seems to be fine, it does restart itself when it needs to update so I generally just let it do what it needs to do!

lisasian86, May 30, 2016
  8. TessV

oraclemay

I never switch my laptop off because I work online for hours each day and have several tabs open in my browser. Leaving it on ensures that I do not lose these tab pages and I don't have to reload. I have a Samsung and I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to switch off completely. I always thought it did not matter. I would also like to cut down on the electricity, but I thought it was not very much.

oraclemay, Jun 3, 2016
  9. TessV

artyarson

If you're not using Torrent to seed or download something... I guess, there's no need for keeping your PC turned on. It's just a huge waste of energy. I know some people who do that. They say it's just because they are too lazy to turn it on again and wait. That's so insane to me!

artyarson, Jun 6, 2016
  10. TessV

cluckeyo

I am in the habit of leaving mine on, but closing out all programs at the end of the day. I have often wondered if this is an ok practice. I have an issue with re-booting so I don't like to take it all the way down every night. I kind of have a work-around for my re-booting problem, and I am a bit afraid that I will wreck my solution if I keep turning it on and off every day. Sometimes, my laptop gets sluggish, and when that happens I always reboot, which clears things up nicely.

cluckeyo, Jun 6, 2016
  11. TessV

acer93

When using a laptop I usually just close it whenever I finished using it.

This puts the laptop into a "sleeping" state, so all my works is still there when I open it but I save on the energy usage. Of course it mean that I do not turn it off for a few days in a row, but did not have any problem from it yet.

acer93, Jun 6, 2016
  12. TessV

Krnasmommy

I always shut my laptop off at night. I've noticed that if I leave it on the bottom gets super hot and that just makes me feel uneasy.

Krnasmommy, Jun 28, 2016
  13. TessV

nytegeek

Actually there are numerous reasons other than torrents to leave a machine on. Also, you don't really waste much energy, at least not enough to be so dramatic about it.

nytegeek, Jun 28, 2016
  14. TessV

cecejailer

As someone who leaves my laptop on 24/7 and have lost many machines because of that, I say turn it off, unless you're really lazy like me. It's not like your laptop will surely get worse with time because of it, but it's better to just guarantee it. I should just learn to do this already but I always sleep with my laptop next to me with a TV show on (I'm terrible with silence) so I always sleep before I can ever remember to turn it off. I try to make up for it restarting it a few times a day, though...

cecejailer, Jun 28, 2016
  15. TessV

rootle

Even I just push down my laptop screen when I'm not using it. The only problem with that is that when I do actually shut down my laptop it takes a long time updating its software.

rootle, Jun 30, 2016
  16. TessV

something back

Lots of viruses, and scripts can be temporally stored in the ram especially those
    from web sites, so a turn off will help.

It's also advisable if you are leaving them on, to turn off the internet.

something back, Jun 30, 2016
  17. TessV

nytegeek

I'm sorry, but if your system is so insecure that you feel the need shut it off over potential malware you have bigger issues to deal with. Turning a machine off wont protect you because most malware will write to disk somewhere and just reload to memory when you turn the machine back on. A real-time antivirus scanner is a better answer to such a dilemma, not shutting the computer down.

nytegeek, Jul 1, 2016
  18. TessV

Oakat

I live in an old house without air conditioning so in the summer I don't have much of a choice. Even a properly placed laptop can suck all the cool air out of the room. During those blistering days, I usually only have it on when I need it. Even during the winter I wouldn't suggest having it on 24/7. It just seems like a waste of energy l.

Oakat, Jul 1, 2016
  19. TessV

nytegeek

That is just ridiculous! Are you sure you aren't exaggerating? A laptop with that much effect on the room wouldn't be safe to use and should be replaced or repaired immediately. .

nytegeek, Jul 4, 2016
  20. TessV

something back

IF YOU ARE UNSURE WHAT A VIRUS IS, OR SIMILAR THEN A LITTLE ONLINE RESEARCH MAY HELP YOU.

Web Page Exploits

Although mostly temporally affecting your computer a web exploit can monitor your web pages.
    An example of this can be you visit an unknown web page for the first time
    it loads itself into your ram then monitors all your web page movements.

This could include your bank details and any page you visit.

This type of loosely named virus is just that an item of software being loaded on to
    your machines ram without your permission.

By shutting down your machine this type of exploit will be removed as it only
    sits in your ram until switch off.

Tell tail signs are your mouse movements will become slower or not behave
    in the normal manor you are used to.

something back, Jul 4, 2016
Ask a Question