Alternative to Aspire One Mail

Discussion in 'Linux' started by nmaad, Aug 19, 2008.

1. nmaad

nmaad

Hi,

I am looking for an alternative to the Aspire One Mail software. I have the 8Gb Linpus Linux Lite Aspire One and I want to sync with Microsoft Exchange Server.

I want to use the Aspire One when out of the office and ideally the email software would sync emails, calander and contacts with the office exchange.

I have looked at Thunderbird 2, but that does not support OWA. I am new to Linux, so would be very grateful for help on this.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Niall

nmaad, Aug 19, 2008
  2. nmaad

milesg

You could try "Evolution", which I think supports accessing Exchange using OWA.

http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/

You can install it from the Linpus package manager (add/remove programs on the right-click menu).

milesg, Aug 19, 2008
  3. nmaad

Donat

Hello,

same situation as above, and already used evolution on ubuntu. however the package manager would not install it on linpus because it detected a conflict between some existing xfce package and a gnome package that it was installing as a dependancy.

Code:
    Transaction Check Error:
      file /usr/share/desktop-directories/Internet.directory from install of gnome-menus-2.20.3-1.fc8 conflicts with file from package xfdesktop-acer-lp-1522.no_spot.mcs_patched
      file /usr/share/desktop-directories/Settings.directory from install of gnome-menus-2.20.3-1.fc8 conflicts with file from package xfdesktop-acer-lp-1522.no_spot.mcs_patched
    this aborts the install, any ideas?

Donat, Aug 20, 2008
  4. nmaad

Yimpster

i'm a linux n00b and bought this laptop yesterday.

i need to link up to an exchange account to access mail, calendar and contacts.

anyone had any success with this? i tried installing the evolution package but it failed also.

really stuck :(

Yimpster, Aug 22, 2008
  5. nmaad

nmaad

Hi,

Thanks milesg for the lead, Evolution looks the business. However I am getting the same error message as Donat.

I tried to rename the offending conflicts, but could not rename or delete these files.

Does anyone know how to resolve these conflicts?

Thanks,

Niall

nmaad, Aug 22, 2008
  6. nmaad

milesg

I didn't have this problem, although it could be due to previous software I installed. I installed F-Spot following the instructions on the macles blog:

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/inst ... e-one.html

Which I think involves updating the packages you guys are having a problem with...?

milesg, Aug 22, 2008
  7. nmaad

nmaad

Thanks milesg, I got Evolution uploaded once I had gone through the steps for f-spot. Thanks very much for your help!!

For anyone contemplating this procedure, I would remove Aspire Mail One first. Because if you do it afterwards, you end up removing f-spot and Evolution as well (I think because of dependences). So I would recommend removing the Mail One first and then going through the very clear steps for uploading the new software.

N.

nmaad, Aug 25, 2008
  8. nmaad

macles

You don't actually need to install F-spot itself to have this working. Stop right before the last command, sudo yum install f-spot ndesk-dbus ndesk-dbus-glib.

macles, Aug 25, 2008
  9. nmaad

akafudge

Guys, how does one remove one mail and its components? Can't find it in add/remove software.

Many thanks.

Jonathan

akafudge, Aug 25, 2008
  10. nmaad

krapivka

The same question how to remove aspire calendar and mail
    I want to install something easier something like one sheet per day without time line , I see Day planes and looks fine for me, that's all I need
    but I want to remove calendar and mail first

krapivka, Aug 30, 2008
  11. nmaad

stigolike

Just thought someone out there may be interested that it is possible to get an OWA connection thorugh Thunderbird 2.

Relatively straight forward and is currently churning through downloading all of my emails including attachments.

http://peterkao.com/2008/08/21/howto-co ... hunderbird

I followed the above instructions, and although it didn't work out of the box, as I was getting an error on the localhost server, once I changed the port to 1111 and 1112 respectively, everything started working.

Definately worth considering as an alternative to acer mail, or evolution. Probably not to everyones taste but I having trashed my machine once by installing and unistalling evolution, it currently gets my vote, as I can also use the same addins to collect my Gmail account, so get all my email into one place.

:D

stigolike, Oct 28, 2008
  12. nmaad

librarian16

How do I get to "Add and remove programs", please?

librarian16, Oct 30, 2008
Ask a Question