Alternate mouse and keypad use

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by valacapt, Feb 18, 2010.

1. valacapt

valacapt

Just after I bought my Aspire I plugged in a USB mouse for awhile. The computer gave a message that I had to uninstall the Synaptics software to use the mouse, and I did. Later, when I wanted to use the touchpad again, I re-installed the Synaptics software but I had to re-configure all my settings for the touchpad. I have used the touchpad ever since.

I am in a situation now where I need to use the USB mouse for some navigational charting and graphics work and then return to the touchpad for better portability. Can I have the Synaptics and Intellipoint installed at the same time, but only one selected at a time? I am assuming that I would be able to keep the settings for each and just switch back and forth. Please let me know if that is possible, and how to do it (I am not highly skilled). Thank you.

valacapt, Feb 18, 2010
  2. valacapt

Forone

Under Windows, most USB mice will just be recognized after a small delay when you plug them in, without any need to mess with the touchpad or its software. I've used both a corded Microsoft mouse and my current Logitech cordless mouse with the AA1, and neither caused a minute's problem and neither required anything all about touchpad software.

I don't install the specialized mouse software, even MS Intellipoint, since I don't use the extra features and it can cause problems. Maybe that's it - can't speak to it since I've never tried to run both Intellipoint and Synaptics. I'd suggest plugging in your mouse and seeing if it operates to your satisfaction without installing the supporting mouse software - if you really need something the Intellipoint does, you can pursue the question.

Forone, Feb 18, 2010
  3. valacapt

valacapt

Thank you for the rapid response. I will give your suggestion a try. I don't need to use all the fancy stuff, except for the wheel with the navigation program, but I'll see if the Synaptics software supports it. I'll report back for the benefit of any other who come along with the same issue.

valacapt, Feb 19, 2010
  4. valacapt

valacapt

For Forone:

Your advice was right on the mark. Thank you. The optical wheel mouse worked even if I just plugged it in without re-booting or anything. I don't know what I must have done the first time - which spooked me for months until now - but it was probably some meddlesome obsessive stuff. Thanks again.

valacapt, Feb 24, 2010
  5. valacapt

Forone

Glad it's working. Not only less conflict between mouseware and trackpad software, but the mouseware uses system resources that, on these little machines, are better used for other things.

Forone, Feb 24, 2010
  6. valacapt

Bramster

I can even use them at the same time.

Move mouse from left to right and move touchpad from top to bottom ---> the pointer moves diagonally

Bramster, Feb 26, 2010
Ask a Question