Already have SL working.. now would like to install Win 7

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by Chef Borjan, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Chef Borjan

Chef Borjan

Hi there.

I realise there are many guides out there, but this is my main system, and would like not to screw it up if i can help it. Especially with the release of two new operating systems, I'm not sure if I'm up to date with anything..

Anyway, here is how I stand.

I have the 120gb drive. Currently, 10.6.1 is up and running on it via the Netbook Installer method. The whole drive has the single partition, using a GUID Partition table. I have around 25gb free that I'd like to turn into a separate partition, and install Windows 7 onto. I'll use vLite to shrink Windows 7 a bit, all I want to do is run a few games.

Now, how would I go about doing this? I am worried from what I've seen, to get dual booting to work you need to install things and partition things in a set way. Is it still possible for me to do this, without losing my OSX first?

P.S. I know, I know, I should have back ups and so shouldn't be worried. I did. But I left my external drives back in the UK!

Chef Borjan, Oct 28, 2009
  2. Chef Borjan

rory

Hmm, IMO not worth messing around unless you can risk it screwing up.
    But install widnows 7, it will make itself the active partition, then download easybcd and add an entry for osx generic ipc to the bootloader. Then it should have an option for the os x install on the windows bootloader, and you can select that and it should take you to chameleon.
    There is a way to make os x partition active, but i think its easier this way...

rory, Oct 28, 2009
  3. Chef Borjan

Chef Borjan

Okay thanks. Seems simple enough.

I will weigh up my options and see if I'm brave enough for it.

Thanks as always rory.

Chef Borjan, Oct 29, 2009
Ask a Question