All users who have replaced the PCIE Wireless Nic Card..

Discussion in 'Networking' started by IM0001, Dec 17, 2008.

1. IM0001

IM0001

Have any of you had any issues with your new nic card after the install? I am wondering because I believe it might be the Arthos card in these things that are having all the issues. My first AA1 had little to no range. Returned for a swap and now the range is great, but I am having issues with it completely dying (nic card disapearing or just locking orange and of course, needs a full shutdown and startup to come back). I was wondering if any of you who have replaced the card have any issues whatsoever after the upgrade. I have an extra 1G stick of ram I was planning to put in and wouldn't mind upgrading the nic card while im at it.

IM0001, Dec 17, 2008
  2. IM0001

IM0001

Well with no responces I went ahead and did it myself. Also had a 1G stick lying around from a previous laptop upgrade (Got 4G for it and took out the 1.5G of ram setup it had)

So far so good. The new intel card 4965N i believe) Works like a charm and that plus the aditional 512mb of ram seams to have made this already sweet little lappy into an even sweeter deal. My dad was really getting tired of having to shut down and restart it every time the Wifi quit working on christmas day. So today my nic card arived and I got busy installing it and the ram. Afterwards my dad was on it for about 2 hrs straight browing the web for his Snowmobile, Truck, Bike, and Vette stuff. This is a guy I would never have though would embrace technoligy let alone become an internet junkie lol. Now they finally realize why i have always been able to sit for hours straight doing something on a screen lol.

That and my fam got A WII to play Guitar Hero World Tour.... MY whole fam played it and even my dad got good (Easy not always booing off stage good) in a matter of a few hours lol. Its awesome. We have always done stuff as a fam and now a little technoligy is being included now and it is pure fun for the whole family lol.

Hope everyone else had a Great Christmas. :)

IM0001, Dec 27, 2008
  3. IM0001

maltloaf

i replaced the atheros card for an apple one that came out of the old appleTV unit i was messing about with ages ago. Works like a charm although the wifi led doesnt always work thats no big deal. The other bonus is that it works right out of the box with osx, as if it were a real airport card (because it is !!)

My atheros card only fell over once, needing a full shut down to cure but I do believe its a driver problem and not a hardware one. It had been flawless up to that point and I probably would have stuck with it if I didnt have the airport card sat around doing nothing.

no problems at all so far with the apple (broadcom) card, which is a BCM 94321MC for reference of anyone viewing this thread in the future. The only thing I have noticed is that it gets a fair bit warmer than the old one.

malty

maltloaf, Dec 27, 2008
Ask a Question