Alienware users, are you here?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by CasualGoofy, Apr 2, 2016.

1. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

Considering this sub forum is, barely more active than Panasonic sub forum -

do we have Alienware users or ex-users in here?!

I've mentioned left and right in this forum, I use an Alienware notebook. I'm suspecting that, I could be alone on this.

CasualGoofy, Apr 2, 2016
  2. CasualGoofy

Sefie

Hi there! It seems you are :( Some years ago I was considering an Alienware laptop, because I was told they were great for gaming... how true is that? I might consider getting one in the future once money allows it.

Sefie, Apr 2, 2016
  3. CasualGoofy

spence88

Hm. Haven't seen your posts about your having an Alienware laptop. Unfotunately, I don't own one, but I do have a gaming laptop of my own. I've also mentioned that a couple of times here in this forum :)
    Anyway, since we both have a gaming laptop, we have something in common. I want to ask a few questions, if you wouldn't mind. What Alienware model do you have? What games do you play? How do you maintain it?

spence88, Apr 6, 2016
  4. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

The best specs are likely on a the medium or large laptop. Therefore I don't claim I know it's best performance.

With that in mind, I'm using their smallest 11" notebook. I hook it to the external monitor so that acts like a desktop replacement. While small, I never accidentally touched touchpad on keyboard.

As for what I do on it; I definitely gamed on it and use it for doodling. Prior to SSD upgrade, I played such like WoW, Flyff, Final Fantasy 14. I haven't had game freeze or blue screen of death. I would say that, Final Fantasy 14 is the most testing game this old notebook have ever played. I mean testing as in the part where it's a full 24 player raid at the boss part (the part where all the sparkles fly?). That's when I finally (it only took me like 5 years) gave in to switching out the HDD.

I use Adobe Illustrator as more of a hobby. I like tacking excessive layers and using multiple art-boards to get something done (so amateur!).

My priority was 20/40/40 between portability, gaming and drawing. If your priority leans to gaming the most, go with the medium size Alienware at least. You'd get option of picking the top processor and graphics card (which matters most here!)

CasualGoofy, Apr 6, 2016
  5. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

I think I mentioned it on .. what laptops you own, and ..sneaked the mention on post replies.

I have the discontinued smallest m11x r2 notebook (2011). Ironically I haven't gamed much after ssd upgrade.

Games I've played on it: Final Fantasy 14, WoW, Flyff, Shin Megami Tensei, and some other free to play mmorpg(s) that I don't remember name of.

Not sure if it counts as much of a maintenance. I try to keep the notebook cool by having it on stands. I'd dust out the keyboard and fan once in a while. Might as well, since I pop out the keyboard plate to get to the fan. I have Razer boost to turn off unnecessary processes when I'd play. I ordered this notebook with core i7, but basic 320gb HDD and 4gb ram. Upgraded to SSD last year because, the price was affordable for a 500GB samsung evo. So I'm shopping for that long overdue ram upgrade o_O

A fun thing to note about it is...I have dropped the notebook itself and things on to it a number of times. Nothing came loose. No cracking. It is a brick (haha)! Just unavoidable hairline scuffs on it's matte paint from daily use.

CasualGoofy, Apr 6, 2016
  6. CasualGoofy

spence88

Oh nice, you upgraded to an SSD. I also want to upgrade to an SSD for a while now, quite a while actually. So, how's the upgrade? Is the hype real like does your computer feel a lot faster than before?
    Yeah, that's what I meant by maintenance. In addition, I've replaced the themal paste of my CPU and GPU once, because it's overheating when I'm editing videos. It was fine when I'm gaming though.

Seems we don't have any games played in common. :(

Yeah, happened to me too, but its left corner edge cracked. It was a huge drop, about 5-6 feet. It terrified me thinking that I killed it, but luckily it still turned on and my data are still intact.

spence88, Apr 7, 2016
  7. CasualGoofy

rz3300

Sadly I cannot answer to this thread with a proud yes, but I really really want to someday and have wanted to for a while now. Every time that I stroll down the aisle I always spend a lot of time on the Alienware, more out of curiosity than anything else. They are really not what I am looking for for practical purposes so I am not going to purchase one, but I wish I had the money to buy one even though I do not need it. Maybe someday, because they look really cool and I know that they pack a punch.

rz3300, Apr 7, 2016
  8. CasualGoofy

spence88

Yeah, gaming laptops look absolutely awesome! But it is definitely a luxury item. I have the same feeling but it's an SSD in my case, I've been wanting to get an SSD for so long, but it's still not practical enough to buy. If I have the money sure, but I'm still a student, so I don't have that much money. Yeah, I do have a gaming laptop of my own so one might wonder how is an SSD less practical? Well, we actually bought the laptop at a very low price from my uncle, so low it could reasonably be called a gift. So yeah, that's why. But anyway, I too hope I'll be able to buy one with my own money in the future!

spence88, Apr 8, 2016
Ask a Question