Agh... can't boot from CD/DVD or USB... (ASUS F551C)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by zoejaye, Jan 3, 2015.

1. zoejaye

zoejaye

I have an ASUS F551C. I want to be able to dual-boot a Linux distro (I prefer Linux over Windows most of the time). Although, the problem is, the only boot option I get is Windows Boot Manager, and I can't enable Launch CSM, as the option is grayed out.
    [​IMG]
    The option for enabling Launch CSM is grayed out even when Fast Boot is disabled. I prefer not to use Windows 8.1 all the time, so is there any way that I can boot from CD/DVD or USB. I also tried with the Windows 8.1 Advanced Boot, which just sent me back to Windows (probably because it wasn't a Windows recovery image).

zoejaye, Jan 3, 2015
  2. zoejaye

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Rather than detail all the steps required... it has already been detailed on the following website (double click the link to go there)...
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/2218...talled-windows-8-64-bit-system-uefi-supported

It will probably bore the socks off you, but please read the bumf from the start of the referenced page down to Windows 8 + Ubuntu - it will show you the problems that face the Ubuntu community now that Microsoft and Intel are trying to stamp out Linux...
    What you'll need to DO is to follow the steps as detailed under the heading Windows 8 and Ubuntu...

Hope this is helpful.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jan 5, 2015
Ask a Question