After battery goes flat it takes 10+ minutes to boot and...

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by gwolf, Feb 14, 2009.

1. gwolf

gwolf

Hi Guys,
    I recently purchase a new Acer Aspire One AOA150-1382 Netbook, 8.9" WSVGA, Intel Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, w/ WLAN, Webcam, Linpus Linux Lite Version, and although I'm pretty happy with it I noticed a potential issue. I had it shut down and it was not being used for a long time, eventually the battery went flat. I plugged it in to charge, when I turned it on it took 10+ minutes for it to boot up, in addition it had lost my saved wireless networks. is this a known issue or just specific to my machine?
    Thank you in advance for your assistance!
    gwolf

gwolf, Feb 14, 2009
  2. gwolf

barrie

Hi gwolf,

I can only speak from personal experience, but with a flat battery when I plug my AAO in to the mains even with added USB peripherals it boots instantaneously. :D Joy of Linux.

You should defiantly not loose any pre configured system setting unless there is an issue during shut-down.
    So one must assume there is a problem with the box and as it is new I would take it back to the supplier.

barrie, Feb 15, 2009
  3. gwolf

allan1954

hi my one week old AAO 150 has the same problem also when you shut down the AAO sometimes i have to remove the battery to switch it off. the fan keeps running and the power light stays on.

allan1954, Feb 15, 2009
  4. gwolf

barrie

Hi allan1954

It sounds like yours has gone into sleep mode, next time this happens just close the lid and leave it for 30 seconds then reopen. Is the power light now flashing orange?

barrie, Feb 16, 2009
  5. gwolf

gwolf

Hi Barrie,
    Thanks for your reply. Now lets just hope the the seller takes it back!
    gwolf

gwolf, Feb 17, 2009
  6. gwolf

allan1954

hi barrie the light stays green and the fan keeps running the only way is to remove the battery this only started since i did the upgrades.

allan1954, Feb 21, 2009
  7. gwolf

barrie

Hi allan1954,

You said in your first post that this only happens sometimes, and that the fan keeps running and the power light stays on (green).

This is important does the green HD light also stay on when this happens?

barrie, Feb 22, 2009
  8. gwolf

allan1954

hi barrie no hd light just the power light and fan keeps running.

allan1954, Feb 22, 2009
  9. gwolf

barrie

Hi allan1954,

The reason I asked about the HD light was that I have tried to damage some Program files on my system, to replicate your shutdown issue.

I did succeed in crashing my box (would not shut down) which had the following symptoms.

1. Power light stayed green.
    2. Fan stayed running.
    But added to this
    3. HD light showed constant green no flashing or shutting down.

I pulled the battery then replaced it after a few minuets; the Acer only booted as far as the blue screen with Acer in the bottom right hand corner but the fan was running very hard/fast which was strange as the processor should not have been that warm and normally at boot the fan is not running, then with the fan still running the box froze.

I pulled the battery again but left it for ten minuets before replacing and this time the box booted fine, when I went into the desktop Icon files that I had been messing with they had been reset, the only issue I noticed and this might be totally irrelevant was that Opera had lost its home page setting as well as all saved bookmarks. :(

So my conclusion is and I might well be wrong that it is possibly your fan causing this, when your box shuts down correctly please check that just before your power light goes out that the fan stops first. If you have done internal mods, it might pay to double check that the CPU is correctly seated.

barrie, Feb 22, 2009
  10. gwolf

Moley-uk

I know from previous installs of linux, if you don't unmount a volume correctly, such as battery going flat and not automatically shutting down, it'll run a test on the disk to make sure that nothing is corrupt.
    Very much like Scandisk running on Windows if you didn't shut it down correctly

Not 100% sure if that is what happens on Linpus but from other installs of linux i've used in the past, thats what has happened

Moley-uk, Feb 25, 2009
Ask a Question