advice please! thinking of buying an aspire one

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by 74newbie, Nov 10, 2008.

1. 74newbie

74newbie

Hi,

I'm spent the past few days thinking about buying a mini-laptop, and most of my online searches show that the Aspire One is the best mini-notebook around. My only concern is that I don't want to buy something that will not perform tasks I need it to perform. My main interest is getting a really small laptop that will allow me to write essays, make Powerpoint presentations and check email while I am traveling.

My questions are:
    1) When I buy a netbook, do I have to install software to perform the tasks above? Or does it come with software?
    2) Will using a flashdrive allow me to open/transfer files between my desktop and the netbook?
    3) What is the best Aspire One model to buy? Or should I just get a bigger laptop?

Thanks a lot!

74newbie, Nov 10, 2008
  2. 74newbie

clc4912

The answer to your questions are as follows:

1. It depends on which version you buy. The linux version does come with openoffice. The windows xp version comes with a trial version of MS Office 2007, but you will need to either purchase a license or install something different after 60 days.

2. Yes, this is possible in both versions.

3. This is a personal opinion. I prefer the XP version as I do not want to deal with linux, but many people really like linux. If you do not have any experience with linux, you may consider the XP version with a HDD over linux withe the SSD. Just my opinion.

One thing to remember is that this machine was designed for its portability and although it can do all of the tasks that any laptop can, a standard traditional laptop may be better suited for more intensive applications.

clc4912, Nov 10, 2008
  3. 74newbie

donec

Your desire/need to use Powerpoint says to me that you need to go with the XP version. Yes, Open office will save and open Powerpoint documents but if there is an incompatibility between Open Office and MS it will probably be with Powerpoint.

I am quite sure that the XP version will not come with Powerpoint. So you will have to get a version and install it.
    Yes.
    From your questions it sounds like you need an XP version and I would suggest the 6 cell battery version.

donec, Nov 10, 2008
  4. 74newbie

Bannod

The XP version comes with a 60-day trial of MS Office 2007, which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote.

Bannod, Nov 11, 2008
  5. 74newbie

donec

OK but you still need to buy it after 60 days.

donec, Nov 11, 2008
  6. 74newbie

flamingswrd

1) Maybe. The linux version comes with Open Office, which is free, saves in MS Office formats. If you get the XP version you would have to buy their software after 60 days.
    2) Yes, in all regards. Although if you use open office make sure to save in MS compatible formats (you can set this up to be default).
    3) That is up to opinion and depends on how heavily you use it.

Option 1: Linux version. Good for getting work done and playing around with linux a bit. It is a learning experience, albeit a bad one since Linpus isn't exactly the most convincing at "linux is good." Long story short, it is good for what it was made for, and there are plenty of forums for support.

Option 2: XP Version. Good for those not yet ready to try something new (assuming all you have ever used is MS). You will have to buy a version of MS Office if you wish that (or Open Office is available for XP for free...) but otherwise it will do what you want.

Add-on Option for either: Battery Life. Depending on how much you use the machine depends on what battery you need. A 3 cell is best when you have avid access to power since you will get ~2hrs (linux machines come with this). A 6 cell is a traveler's battery, usually lasting you average flight to somewhere (XP machines usually come with this). A 9 cell is a "how long were you away from civilization" battery and will last you about 8 hours (these must be ordered). The more cells the larger the battery...a 3 cell is flush with the case, a 9 cell props it up about an inch. Purchase/order accordingly to previous option.

Hope that helps with your choice.

flamingswrd, Nov 23, 2008
  7. 74newbie

naeemsta

yes
    but you know googling can get you anything :D
    so i say go with xp version of aa1 but wait a lil bit until February then you can get the AA1 10 inch !

naeemsta, Jan 3, 2009
  8. 74newbie

ajayre

Open Office also works in Windows.

Andy

ajayre, Jan 11, 2009
  9. 74newbie

Rezonate

From what I've head Acer aspire 1 laptops are pretty good. You can watch a video review of it on znet or YouTube before buying it.

Rezonate, Jan 7, 2016
Ask a Question