Advanced mode?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Ariel, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Ariel

Ariel

I am considering buying an aspire one

I've had the opportunity to play with the interface at one of my local computer shops and it certainly seems a step up from what acer has to offer.

unfortunately my requirements would extend beyond the basic lupus lite interface and therefore I would like to know if...

1 Is it possible to enable an "advanced mode" interface like the eee

2. How would I go about doing this...

I would be very thankful if someone who already owns one would be so kind as to enlighten me.

Ariel, Jul 7, 2008
  2. Ariel

B3n3v3nt3

IF the OS is similar to the regular Linpus Lite, you can switch to an advanced mode by clicking an icon:
    [​IMG]
    ;)

B3n3v3nt3, Jul 7, 2008
  3. Ariel

smacman

I picked up the 8gb SSD Linux version here in Hong Kong yesterday. Interestingly, it came with 1gb of ram as opposed to 512mb. I can confirm that the Linux OS is locked down and their is no way to enable any advanced mode. There is not even a facility to add/remove programs. I can't wait to install Ubuntu on this thing but I need to get my hands on an external CD drive or USB key first.

smacman, Jul 8, 2008
  4. Ariel

Andysan

Didn't Advanced Mode on the EEE have to be enabled through a bit of messing around in the console - there was no button on the dash AFAIK. Surely then theres hope for enabling Advanced Mode in the Linpus OS?

I hope it can be done - whether i get an Aspire One or EEE 701 hinges on this as i would like to keep the stock OS running but tinker with it, enable Advanced Mode, install new apps etc...

Andysan, Jul 9, 2008
  5. Ariel

dbs

You can get a Terminal and root access, so you can do whatever you want :). There is a package manager available (system-config-packages) which will allow you to easily install software (will be downloaded and installed just like in any other distribution - just don't expect the latest versions).

In this thread http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23 I've described an easy way to access the default Desktop Menu that is normally hidden. This can be done even if you have no knowledge about Linux as it's fairly simple and just requires one console command and you don't need to edit any files.

dbs, Jul 9, 2008
  6. Ariel

elektricat

Its dead easy to elevate to advance mode on Linpus:

1. Open terminal by clicking on file in the file manager, thunar.
    2. Type xfce-setting-show into it
    3. Click on the desktop icon in the pop up box.
    4. Click the tab which is labelled behavior
    5. Tick the box which says show desktop menu on right click

Now whenever you right click anywhere on the desktop, the advanced menu will show. Thats all there is to it!

elektricat, Apr 16, 2009
  7. Ariel

bayden_uk

ive seen a more advance version than that. i just cant remember where i found the instructions online. rather than have the 4 ugly boxes in the background it was more like a proper desktop with icons and a recycle bin. i thought that was the advance desktop :S

if anybody can help me with clear instructions on how to get linpus unlocked i would be more than greatfull

thanks folks

ben

bayden_uk, Apr 29, 2009
Ask a Question