Adobe Flash Player 10 issue: interrupted video

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Pontificator, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Pontificator

Pontificator

I've noticed that some sites that use Flash Player 10 (which is pretty much all of them) the videos often suffer from intermittent white flashes. I have since updated to the current version (10.0.15.3) and it doesn't fix the problem. I've also gone into "settings" while in the various sites and adjusted the "local storage" and that doesn't help, either.

I'll give some examples:

http://www.illwillpress.com/BAST22.html
    (WARNING: profanity)
    The issue happens at the same points in time throughout the video. If you go into this website's vault and randomly choose and play any of the videos there is no video interruption.

http://www.amctv.com/originals/the-prisoner-1960s-series/

If you attempt to play any of the episodes in "full screen mode" you'll see the white flashing issues. No issues if viewed in normal screen mode.

YouTube videos have no issues either in regular screen or full screen.

I know it's not an AA1 RAM issue (lack of it) becuase this problem is the same on both my netbooks (one has 512MB the other, 1GB).

Is it possible that this is a settings issue on the part of the websites in particular? Can someone shed some light on this?

Pontificator, Feb 13, 2009
  2. Pontificator

pib712

There are issues with the Linux version of Flash, and of any Adobe product at all for that matter. Try swfdec or gnash instead (though both of those alternatives have their fair share of issues too)

pib712, Feb 13, 2009
  3. Pontificator

mattytee

Are you running compiz? If so, my understanding is that a driver update and a little tweaking is needed for smooth flash videos.

I tried the bastardized musicals video on my 512 SSD AA1 and did not have any problems. I have the newest flash but am still on FF 2.0.

mattytee, Feb 16, 2009
  4. Pontificator

Pontificator

What is "compiz"?

Pontificator, Feb 16, 2009
  5. Pontificator

mattytee

Compiz is the compositing window manager. Sounds like you're not running it or you'd know what it is.

OK, part 2: do you have compositing turned on in XFCE's settings? I think anything that puts the graphics into 3d acceleration might cause the issues.

mattytee, Feb 16, 2009
  6. Pontificator

Pontificator

Using the advanced desktop, I went into the CompizConfig manager and there are some features that are checked. I know I didn't purposely mess with it. What do I look for? What enabled settings need to be disabled?

Still looking for XFCE's settings. I went into "Desktop Settings" and there doesn't seem to be anything in there that references a compositing feature.

Pontificator, Feb 16, 2009
Ask a Question