Additional USB Pins

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by akuma0n3, Sep 9, 2008.

1. akuma0n3

akuma0n3

Hello,
    I've been reading about several modifications using the internal PCIe port's 36 and 38 pins in order to get USB without sacrificing an external port on the Aspire One.
    I was wondering if there were other pins on the board that would allow this (say I'd like to do the Touchscreen and the Bluetooth mods without condemning an external port).
    I've read a post somewhere in here about adding an internal usb hub, though I rather just find an additional data bus for the USB on the existing board without crowding the Aspire One more than it already is.

Thanks

Akuma

akuma0n3, Sep 9, 2008
  2. akuma0n3

melhiore

The best way of doing this is to use an internal USB HUB. I'm planning exactly the same mod in my AA1. In that case you can use pins from existing miniPCI connector (this one for WiFi card) and have 4 extra USB "sockets". I believe it's the best solution. On top of that I'm planning to install 3G HSDPA modem inside but not sure about power consumption...

melhiore, Sep 9, 2008
  3. akuma0n3

radu

Let me know if you find an USB hub that doesn't eat a lot of power. I got one and I was not happy with how hot the main chip became with just 1 BT dongle connected to it. I think the hub ate more power than the BT..

radu, Sep 9, 2008
  4. akuma0n3

melhiore

melhiore, Sep 9, 2008
  5. akuma0n3

radu

Does it get hot during use?

radu, Sep 9, 2008
  6. akuma0n3

melhiore

Is warm.

I can not say is hot purely because I use it with only Bluetooth, Touchscreen controler and pendrive plugged in. Also plastic enclosure is taken off - I'm preparing HUB to be installed inside of AA1. Still waiting for 3G modem I purchased from ebay. With this modem I'm going to do the rest of tests and we will see. But even if this HUB is getting warmer I'm planning to use it anyway - temperature is not to high to put this into Acer IMHO.

melhiore, Sep 9, 2008
  7. akuma0n3

radu

Well, the junk I bought gets hot (not just warm) with just a BT dongle, and I worry about the power consumption. I guess I was just unlucky :/

radu, Sep 9, 2008
  8. akuma0n3

melhiore

Possible.

BT dongle is taking about 50mA, pendrive about 60-70mA. Standard USB port suppose to be ready to provide 500mA. In that case it should not be even more then 25%.

What BT dongle you have?? Class 2 (up to 10m) or Class 1 (up to 100m) - Class 2 is taking more power...

melhiore, Sep 9, 2008
  9. akuma0n3

radu

I think it's some hybrid, it says up to 20m. However, the BT dongle is not hot at all, just the hub. And the BT wasn't even on.

radu, Sep 10, 2008
  10. akuma0n3

melhiore

No idea then. Maybe HUB itself is not very good...

melhiore, Sep 10, 2008
  11. akuma0n3

lotus49

To answer the OP's question, there are two PCI E slots on the One. On some (most?) Ones the actual slot under the door on the bottom of the machine is not soldered in but the pads are there.

One is completely unused and the USB part of the slot used for the wifi card is also unused so there you have the two ports you need.

lotus49, Sep 11, 2008
  12. akuma0n3

akuma0n3

Great, that's what I needed.
    Thanks!

akuma0n3, Sep 12, 2008
Ask a Question