additional settings for powersaving

Discussion in 'Linux' started by enildeR, Jul 31, 2008.

1. enildeR

enildeR

So I was browsing lesswatts.org and it appears that acer did not set some stuff.

I did these:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_mc_power_savings
    echo 3000 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
    echo 10 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
    echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode

From the batter tray icon, it looks that a got about ~20 mins extra of battery life.

I then started looking at the network stuff.

"iwpriv ath0 powersave" can take 1 2 or 3. I currently have it set to 3, but I have no idea which number does what. It could have disabled power save. I didn't bother looking for the source to see if the developers put any useful comments in there.

if you're using the ether jack, you can try setting this:
    ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 10
    Seeing as you're on battery, streaming audio would kill it, versus playing from the system.

I'll be setting up a vmware image with FC8 for compiling the 26 kernel, as there are a crap load more features for portable devices, as well as for powersaving features.

In the end, almost three hours from this little "stick" of a battery is not bad.
    However, I plan on breaking all this kde/gnome stuff down. I know that acer kept it in/used it for the integration that it provides, but I want a minimal environment. So I'm going to change the init to not load a lot of this stuff. WindowMaker for a windowmanager (yes, there is fluxbox, but it's not as productive for me, and wm has always been fast and efficient), some webkit based browser, and some small app to provide a clickable interface to turn on and off any thing I need. We'll see...

So far tuning the current environment is keeping me satisfied.

enildeR, Jul 31, 2008
  2. enildeR

Sid

Thanks for these.
    How did you test the results of these changes?

Sid, Jul 31, 2008
  3. enildeR

janss

Wow, I think I just may have to try these settings if they give 20 mins more battery time :shock:

Is there an easy way to revert these settings if they should f* something up?

janss, Jul 31, 2008
  4. enildeR

enildeR

I had already tested the battery to obtain a base spec. Using three terms and firefox with two tabs. I never saw more than 2:34 on the battery tray's tooltip for remaining battery time. If I was idle for a bit, and the screen blanked, when I came back, it would say 3+, but as soon as I started working again, it dropped below 2 1/2 hours.

So that's the base line...

After changing these kernel/driver settings, I unplugged the power cable, and adjusted the backlight to the lowest setting (something I will always do when on battery). Every time I hovered the mouse over the battery tray icon, it was more than 2 1/2 hours for at least 20 mins, and the first value I saw was 2:54. I was working, so I did not keep precise track of time.

I might do that tomorrow after work.

Provided that you didn't put this stuff in rc.local or any other init script, you only need reboot the One. Settings do not keep after reboots. :)

enildeR, Jul 31, 2008
  5. enildeR

janss

Sweet, I'll have to test these! :geek:

janss, Jul 31, 2008
  6. enildeR

glibdud

I'm not sure I'd trust the battery applet to be accurate... at least not the time, which is just an estimate. Might be better to time it yourself from full charge down to, say, 10% capacity.

glibdud, Jul 31, 2008
  7. enildeR

Ruutiveijari

True. In Windows XP it gives me an estimate of over three hours when at about 90% capacity. Ubuntu on the other hand gives me under two hours.

My battery is 2200mAh.

Ruutiveijari, Jul 31, 2008
  8. enildeR

enildeR

I have the 2400 battery, just FYI.

Considering that in all of the time I've used the One, I have never seen the battery time more than 2:34. Mind you, I typically check this after uplugging the the power cord, and I have been working for a couple of minutes.

After setting these options, I saw 2:54 (after the same method of unplugging, working, and then checking the time remaining). This in of itself is unusual. It certainly didn't "spike" and provide the time remaining, inaccurately. Of course, this is not definitive.

I will set the power center settings to sleep at 25%, and I'll see how long it takes to reach that point with and without these settings. That way we have some kind of "scientific" test results. :)

I'll post later this evening with the results.

enildeR, Jul 31, 2008
  9. enildeR

gerarddelafas

Thanks for these settings. :mrgreen:

gerarddelafas, Aug 11, 2008
  10. enildeR

enildeR

so I have found more info, and I'm going to dump it into this thread to keep track of everything.

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/linux-on-flash.html

The kernel-params script is a good base to set power-saving options, and they are an improvement over the original settings I listed at the beginning of this thread.

I have two more links to read through and see if there is anything useful.

You can save that script to, say, /usr/local/sbin/ and then run it from /etc/rc.local
    Modify it and place the other settings within the "start" section.

-Redline

enildeR, Aug 13, 2008
  11. enildeR

lightpost

Thank you for staying on top of this. This is very useful information! :)

lightpost, Aug 13, 2008
  12. enildeR

foobar

PowerTOP (http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/) can be useful for measuring laptop power usage with different options. I haven't t tried it on Linpus, but it works fine on Ubuntu (for improved data display, run it as root). I suspect that the watt measurements it shows are not always equal, but slightly vary depending on the amount of charge the battery has, so it's likely that minor differences between different options are valuable to know only for roughly the same amount of battery charge...

foobar, Aug 14, 2008
  13. enildeR

jukk

I tried running powertop (installed with yum) and got the following results after runnung a couple of minutes:

So we would definitely benefit from a recompiled kernel.

jukk, Aug 14, 2008
  14. enildeR

jukk

That's strange. Most of those options are enabled already. Only CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL is not enabled. So it depends then how much powertop can tell us with this option enabled. I don't like the idea with running with debug on. But I think I'll try.

jukk, Aug 14, 2008
  15. enildeR

enildeR

okay... It looks like you can only squeeze so much out of this setup.

By chance I took out the "nolapic_timer" from grub, and now powertop shows only ~8 wakeups per second. This is without X running, bare minimum, in console, and my previous settings applied.

So when, I unplugged, I was looking at 3.0 hrs w/ 8.3W. I even tried the 2.6.25 kernel that is in the development repo, and not much diff.

Before this, I was seeing ~750mA in /proc/acpi/bat*/*/state for "present rate." Right now, I just cat'd it, and it's getting 733mA. So, if the atom really does only use 4W, then something else is using the same load. SSD, backlight, and the system board. So maybe there really isn't much more you can push out of the battery.

I'm sure there are a ton more stuffs to set in /proc/* and /sys/* for the .25 kernel, but that's going to take time.

I downloaded the rpm for 26, but I haven't installed it yet.

http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packa ... 9.i686.rpm

I'll test that as well, but considering that most stats out on the net state the atom uses ~8W, and then Intel's docs state that the Atom uses ~4W, there might be some room for improvement. I believe the goal would be to see how efficient the One can be while in use... *shrug*

enildeR, Aug 20, 2008
Ask a Question