Adding switch (Internal USB hub)

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by danmac, Mar 2, 2009.

1. danmac

danmac

Hi Guys,

I've been doing a bit of research and ordered some parts to upgrade my AAO with an internal USB hub and a TV card, bluetooth etc, etc. And I have come across a number of people talking about using a dip switch to control these additional devices.

I'm not to concerned about the soldering and wiring side of this mod, however I would like to retain a good look to the AAO once I have fitted everything. I'm thinking a small 4 way Dip Switch could be the go, similar to this: http://shop.voltelectronics.com.au/4-wa ... witch.html

I would really appreciate some input from you guys about an appropriate place and method of mounting this. I was thinking along the top of the keyboard bezel, in line with the power button, wherever the mother board has a spare spot to mount it low enough to enable the screen to close fully. What I would really like to do is have the switch bonded to the keyboard surround permanently and then have a connection on a wire to remove the case in the future should I have to go back inside.

This means having some form of glue or epoxy to hold it in place. I would prefer something that can be sanded and painted so that I can blend it in with the rest of the colouring of my case, making the switch appear "normal". What would you recommend for an epoxy/glue/filler?

The OTHER option, is to mount it on to the motherboard (or other internal component beneath) and then have the case cut to fit over the switch, possibly with some sort of rubber (flexible) filler that will mold around the switch when the case is closed. Although I don't like this too much as it requires a precise location for the switch to be located.

Any ideas for an epoxy/glue/filler I could use? Or possibly another method/location for the switches?

Thanks
    Dan

danmac, Mar 2, 2009
Ask a Question