Adding Scribus to the Standard Linpus Lite desktop

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 8jphil, Oct 15, 2008.

1. 8jphil

8jphil

Can anyone help me to to add Scribus to my standard Linpus Lite Desktop. I have added the programme and it runs fine after pressing Alt+F2 and typing Scribus, but I don't seem able to add it to the desktop. I have added Skype (it should have come as standard) and I added Thunderbird to the "Connect" menu by following instructions on this site, but I am struggling with Scribus. I am a newby to Linux but after four days it is already better than Vista, but then again what isn't!!! Many thanks

8jphil, Oct 15, 2008
  2. 8jphil

PoV

You might have the wrong name in the XML file (/home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml).

I added an application "Geany" to mine, and while it showed up as "Geany" in the file browser, the actual file was called "fedora-geany.desktop". Take a look in "/usr/share/applications/" for the .desktop files. It might have a funny name.

Typing "ls --time=ctime -c" while in the "/usr/share/applications/" will sort the files by creation time. Scroll to the top, and it should be one of the first files after that command.

Also, if you're in the work section of the XML file, the calculator application is a screen or so to the right. You may want to realign that.

PoV, Oct 16, 2008
  3. 8jphil

8jphil

Thanks for the help. It worked a treat but there are two entires in the file in the following order:

%{desktop_vendor}--vnd.scribus.desktop
    vnd.scribus.desktop

Which is the file to use?

Thanks

8jphil, Oct 16, 2008
  4. 8jphil

PoV

I'm just guessing, but either one may work. As a personal preference, I'd probably go with the shorter named one. ;)

PoV, Oct 16, 2008
Ask a Question