adding in an ssd to AOA150

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by silvorus, Nov 5, 2009.

1. silvorus

silvorus

I've been having the common wireless card problem many others have had, it just randomly drops and the "quickest" solution is to shutdown and restart the system. I got a bit inspiration when i opened up the machine to pull out the wireless card to replace it, what if I swapped out the defunct wireless card to a small 32 GB SSD? They're both mini pcie so technically it should work right? I would install windows and all my main programs on the SSD and media on the HDD. For wireless I would use the BUFFALO Nfiniti Wireless Ultra-Compact Adapter, which would give me N. Is this possible or should i just replace the wireless card?

silvorus, Nov 5, 2009
  2. silvorus

schmadde

Mini PCIe SSDs do not work, because they are not really Mini PCIe, but only have the same connector - the protocol they speak is proprietary and different between manufacturers using Mini PCIe SSDs in their netbooks. This is why shops selling them always say in which computers their products fit.

But there is a replacement SSD with ZIF connector from super talent, which apparently is much faster (twice the read speed and four times write speed) for a similar price. That is, for the A110. If the A150 has internal SATA (I believe so) you can swap the HD for a SATA SSD, the 64GB ones with Idlinx Chipset are becoming affordable right now.

schmadde, Nov 5, 2009
  3. silvorus

silvorus

good to know, thanks for the info.

silvorus, Nov 6, 2009
Ask a Question