ADDING AN INTERNAL HD TO ONE

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ptechno, Jul 26, 2008.

1. ptechno

ptechno

Hi,
    I'm wondering if there's a way of connecting/adding an internal 2,5" hard drive to the aspire one, or there's no way of putting it, so we can just add memory through SDHC and using USB ports.

ptechno, Jul 26, 2008
  2. ptechno

rory

There isn't much space underneath the motherboard, but removing a few screw holes might allow it. But people have had to cut stuff down to even install a 1.8" drive, so I'd say it will probably not fit.
    I'm talking about the one with the 8GB SSD originally, the one wiht a HDD normally might well be larger inside or thicker or something, so someone with one of thoese might be able to help more.
    Rory

rory, Jul 26, 2008
  3. ptechno

ptechno

I see, thanks.

ptechno, Jul 26, 2008
  4. ptechno

ptechno

So in conclusion, we just can have 8 gb plus 8 gb of an SDHC, (or 16gb SDHC, as people report it works fine), and there isnt a simple way to add at least 60gb of space to the netbook?

ptechno, Jul 27, 2008
  5. ptechno

macles

6. ptechno

ptechno

Thanks a lot macles, great info!

ptechno, Jul 27, 2008
  7. ptechno

tenko

You cant't ad any drive to the A110l, because there's no space. The Chassis of the A150 is deeper.

tenko, Jul 28, 2008
  8. ptechno

rjm

You cant add a HDD to the A110 because there is no connection except for the pata ZIF that goes to the SSD. The SATA connector is left off the motherboard. The SSD version is also missing the bracket for the hard drive, and has an extra support shaft which blocks the space where the hard drive would go.

The SSD is the same interface as 1.8" hard drives, but 1/2 the size, so you can't just swap out the SSD for a 1.8" HDD.

About the best you can do is swap out the original SSD for a better one, possibly using a ZIF-CF adapter and fast CF card.

rjm, Jul 28, 2008
  9. ptechno

rscutaru

I have a 30 GB hard drive in my one right now. It is for a 5th gen ipod, ZIF connector. I removed some plastic with pliers where SSD used to be and used double sided tape to attach. Works like a charm with now slowdowns.

rscutaru, Jul 28, 2008
  10. ptechno

ptechno

Shit...
    There are some HDD with a 5mm height but.. if it's too much trouble then we have to get used to the SDHC's...

ptechno, Jul 28, 2008
  11. ptechno

spino

hello,
    could be of interest to know that one can actually install an HD in the ssd version.
    I just stick a samsung HD , 60GB, 1.8", zif, in the same place of the ssd, using the ssd cable, without removing or touching any plastic part.
    the HD, placed a little diagonally, some 20 degrees from the left to right line, is kept in place by the motherboard and a couple pieces of packing foam of the right density, shaped to stay blocked by parts of the chassis, and blocking the HD in turn.
    the HD is exactly thick as the space below the motherboard, no mechanical stress/flex on it.

HD cooling is not the very best you could dream of, you can feel the heat under the right side of the keyboard, but I believe the HD is not overheating. For this first period of use I even removed the empty plastic cover on the bottom of the pc, to allow some more airflow around the HD.

The long freezing (up to 45 seconds) that I experienced with winXP and the ssd totally disappeared.

spino, Jul 29, 2008
  12. ptechno

ptechno

I see,
    But I wont worry a lot for the moment, Ill get a 16gb sdhc and Ill be using linpus, so there wont be a problem.
    Ill wait for the netbook to arrive (today) and then Ill see.
    Thanks.

ptechno, Jul 29, 2008
  13. ptechno

rscutaru

Good job with that. I used double sided tape and removed some plastic inside. I am using a toshiba 30 gb, and no more lag either. Its a difference not describable with words. :mrgreen:

rscutaru, Jul 29, 2008
  14. ptechno

loopyoyo

have a spare zif cable for toshiba?

loopyoyo, Jul 29, 2008
  15. ptechno

splashd

how does battery life compare?

splashd, Aug 20, 2008
Ask a Question