Added 1GB RAM, now certain things don't work

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by lamorake, Nov 10, 2008.

1. lamorake

lamorake

I recently added 1GB to my AAO (8 GB SSD hard drive, Linpus version) and now my sound, USB and wireless controls won't work. The memory is recogized (Crucial PC 4200) in the "System" screen, but now certain pieces of hardware are no longer functional. Seem... bizarre. I can launch several applications without a hitch, but my USB mouse isn't recognized, although it is powered. And my sound is disabled. When I try to open the volume control, I get this error: No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found.

Any ideas on this strange, selective failure after upgrading RAM?

lamorake, Nov 10, 2008
  2. lamorake

torpor

The only thing that makes sense is that you've got a mis-plugged cable in there somewhere .. its a lot of work to replace the RAM, if I were you I'd go in again and double-check every single cable and make sure there isn't something awry.

I also upgraded my AAO with 1gig of RAM - about 12 times now!!! Each time so far I've been able to get a full 1.5gig RAM reported by the BIOS, but I *always* get screwed up video - it seems that the RAM I'm using isn't auto-switching into 533mhz, and the video processor gets confused by how much real RAM is available in its mapping or something, resulting in weird glitches with on-screen video .. however, once I've let the machine sit idle for a little while, and/or go into sleep mode once or twice (haven't quite nailed the specifics), then everything settles down and I get a full-screen text display at boot instead of the weird 'glitchy' video I'd get, and then on the next reboot I get a proper full-screen display and everything seems fine.

*Sigh*. I wish there were some way for this machine to properly interface with RAM and set the appropriate clock - as it is, its very hard for me to find 533mhz RAM in my neighborhood - I have tried 4 different mfr's too, so .. I'll just have to put up with it until a) a new, better, proper BIOS is released, b) someone tells me how to fix the video glitch from within linux so I can put it in /etc/rc.local, or c) I suddenly stumble across some fully-compatible RAM ..

torpor, Nov 10, 2008
Ask a Question