Added 1GB of memory, problem occured

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Jez, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Jez

Jez

Hello all,

i bought my Acer A1 few days ago, after doing some search on the internet. I thought id upgrade the memory
    from 512 to 1.5 gb. And thought of installing windows xp also. I added the memory like told in the instructions. After putting it all together i started up the computer. "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" and after that "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". I checked out everything but i just cant seem to find the problem. Any suggestions? :cry:

Jez, Jul 25, 2008
  2. Jez

glibdud

Sounds like you accidentally disconnected your SSD. Open it back up and try reseating the cable at both ends.

glibdud, Jul 25, 2008
  3. Jez

Jez

Dont know how, why or where the fault was, but after uninstalling the memory. It worked just fine. :eek: Maybe that kingston wasnt compatible with this one. This is odd.

Jez, Jul 25, 2008
  4. Jez

glibdud

That's bizarre. Did you try just reseating the memory and trying again? Maybe it was sitting funny. If you're convinced the memory just won't work with the machine, it would be helpful to post a model number or more detailed specs so people know to avoid it.

glibdud, Jul 25, 2008
  5. Jez

Kite

are you sure its not faulty connection on the cables?

I have installed a Kingston 1g 533mhz ddr2 myself in my A110. I ran into similar problems when booting. After several trys with reconnecting the cables, it worked perfectly since

Kite, Jul 25, 2008
  6. Jez

Jez

The memory was Kingston SoDimm DDR2 677mhz, they didnt have 533mhz. So i tooked it and thought that it will work together. I thought it would use lower clocking. I can honestly say that i tried pretty much anything. Either it is the memory or it is just me. :D

Jez, Jul 26, 2008
  7. Jez

ptechno

Theorically it should probably work but at lower clocking (533 MHz), but netbooks are special, probably if motherboard doesnt support more than the MHz they say in specs then, it wont work, anyway with a 533MHz it will, sorry man. :roll:

ptechno, Jul 26, 2008
  8. Jez

denz_h

I called up tech support and was told that Kingston memory modules are not recommended for the aspire one. Apacer is the most compatible. Maybe you can still have your item replaced with a compatible memory module.

People! Could you help me find the tutorials for opening the aspire one! I've been looking but can't find it anywhere in the forums. Thanks!

denz_h, Jul 27, 2008
  9. Jez

loopyoyo

funny that they even told you what and what not to use in the thing...must mean they are encouraging ppl to upgrade...wonder if that means that the warranty is not void if we do this

loopyoyo, Jul 27, 2008
  10. Jez

Sid

Sid, Jul 27, 2008
  11. Jez

osdude

Did you get it sorted? Because what's interesting, is PXE is LAN boot. It's telling you, you need to have your Ethernet cable plugged in.

osdude, Jul 27, 2008
  12. Jez

denz_h

Actually, It seemed that they were discouraging me from upgrading the RAM since I got mine with 1G installed already. They told me that replacing the 512MB with 1G to get a total of 1.5G won't show much difference. I forgot to tell them that I replaced linups with XP that's why I needed the memory boost. Maybe you don't need that much RAM if you're running linpus.

I had my unit RAM-upgraded today. I'm still checking if the upgrade (1G-1.5G) is significant. Maybe I'll notice it when I multi-task.

denz_h, Jul 28, 2008
  13. Jez

Davidcowling

do crucial or corsair sticks work?

anyone had any experience with any other manufacturers?

Davidcowling, Jul 28, 2008
  14. Jez

glibdud

I think it's unlikely that they'd consider the warranty void unless you obviously damaged something in the process of opening the unit and installing the memory.

To cite an example, recently a friend spilled wine on her Dell laptop. She didn't think she had a warranty for it anymore, so we took it completely apart and gave it a good cleaning to see if we could get it going again. We couldn't, but we discovered after that that she did actually still have time left on her warranty. She called Dell, explained the situation completely, including spilled wine and disassembly, and they still didn't hesitate to replace her mainboard. It's a different company, and just one example, but most anecdotal evidence I've heard backs up the general notion that unless you're careless, your warranty should survive an upgrade, even if it isn't officially authorized.

glibdud, Jul 28, 2008
  15. Jez

Thomas8675309

For what it's worth, I installed a stick of Kingston 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Laptop Memory (about $22 from Newegg), and it has worked a perfectly ever since.

Thomas8675309, Jul 29, 2008
  16. Jez

denz_h

I was discouraged to buy Kingston. It might work but it could damage your board. As to how, the tech guy didn't give specifics.

denz_h, Jul 29, 2008
  17. Jez

ptechno

It cant and should ever damage the netbook, Kingston's ram module is 100% fitted according technical requirements, so I think its just a stupid thing what acer said, they may try to help an specific company to rise their sales on ram, but kingston is completely a valid trademark in order to install a ram module in the A1, for sure.

ptechno, Jul 29, 2008
  18. Jez

glibdud

Did he actually say it could damage the board?

glibdud, Jul 29, 2008
  19. Jez

Thomas8675309

I find it very hard to believe that Kingston RAM could damage my motherboard. Nonetheless, consider me your guinea pig. No problems to date, but if I have any in the future, I will report back.

Thomas8675309, Jul 29, 2008
  20. Jez

osdude

Different metals used in the connection points maybe?

osdude, Jul 29, 2008
Ask a Question