acerim crashes on startup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stuart, Oct 20, 2008.

1. stuart

stuart

I've just got a new Acer Aspire One 150 model, with hard disc. Everything seems fine, except for the Instant Messenger application (IMApp/IMClient from the 'acerim' package, I believe).

If this is started without a network connection then it successfully runs, but obviously isn't a great deal of use.

However, if a network connection is active, then the IM application will load and remain on-screen for approximately 5 seconds (during which time it is responsive), before segfaulting (which I can see if I manually execute it from a command-line). After approximately 30 seconds, it will re-launch before again dying about 5 seconds later :(

I've tried doing a complete re-install from the recovery DVDs and I've installed all of the patches via LiveUpdate (although admittedly I haven't checked whether it works without these updates), and the behaviour is no different.

I checked out yum, and running 'update' seems to want to pull in a load of Gnome packages from Fedora - but, more importantly, the Acer IM package doesn't seem to available on any of the default repositories.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and are there any known solutions?

stuart, Oct 20, 2008
  2. stuart

kostas_ath

I have exactly the same problem. I bought my aspire one yesterday. I tried to connect using acer im and it worked perfectly.
    Later, I updated the system using Live update and since then, I face the same problem.
    Can someone please help?

kostas_ath, Nov 1, 2008
  3. stuart

jim_ath

hello,both.
    I also bought an AAOA150L, yesterday i download all the necessary updates, today i tried the messenger for the first time and all working just fine.
    Try to remove the account that you have already and re-added again, i think the problem is in the second option that it asked you when you adding your account.
    "use a windows messenger compatible service" , leave it blank, dont check it!

jim_ath, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question