Acer zg5 with snow leopard

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by iamnoob, Oct 5, 2009.

1. iamnoob

iamnoob

I was wondering if anyone here got snow leopard to work on the acer zg5(1.6ghz, 1gb ram, 120gb harddrive). Is every thing fully fuctional?

Also, is it possible to dual boot SL and win7 with out any problems?

I'am new to this so be kind. I have been on the comp for almost the whole day researching.

iamnoob, Oct 5, 2009
  2. iamnoob

semis

semis, Oct 5, 2009
  3. iamnoob

emsee

Hi

I don't need netbook installer as I have an external DVD Drive and I have installed Leopard IiDeneb v1.4 (10.5.6) on it successfully with everything working accept Wifi (not too concerned as I use a wired connectionn)

'iamnoobs' questions was on Snow Leopard which I am also curious about, what version works the best, i.e which CD needs to be downloaded burned on DVD and installed with most things working?

Thanks

emsee, Oct 5, 2009
  4. iamnoob

semis

... and my link is about SL. ;)
    There are no SL "versions" yet, no need in my opinion since you can do a full functional Snow Leopard installation with a retail DVD/image and a few kexts most of the time.

semis, Oct 5, 2009
  5. iamnoob

rory

Seriosuly sometimes I feel bad when i flame people for not searching, but can you not see? On page 1 there are about 5 threads about snow leopard install guides. Come on. And nice insanelymac link...

rory, Oct 5, 2009
  6. iamnoob

emsee

I'm psure when I looked at the links posted the guy was on about Leapard. And the second link didn't mention which distro or cd to go with.

Rory face it that probably won't happen, I can't answer for anyone else but in my case I didn't find what distro/cd they were using.

emsee, Oct 5, 2009
  7. iamnoob

semis

Hehe emsee, i know what you mean - it's a bit surprising that there are no distros of SL when you are used of all those Leopard ones. You really just need a normal Snow Leopard DVD image, Chameleon or similar and a few files.
    That's the main problem - it's sometimes not that easy to find the right combination of kexts and such, if you really don't know what to do you should ask in the mentioned insanelymac thread or in the netbookinstaller forum - or you wait for the iKaros distro. ;)

semis, Oct 5, 2009
  8. iamnoob

rory

yep, no need for distros, only some patience to read and chameleon 2 rc3
    the times of efi partitions and boot 132 are gone, with the release of rc3 and snow leopard colliding perfectly.. only thing is, I now need a new desktop graphics card as my 2600xt isnt supported even though its a bloody real mac pro graphics card... yet all nvidia 8xxx and 9xxx series cards are supported even though none were ever in real macs.
    but anyways back on topic, have a read around and try some stuff out for yourself....

rory, Oct 5, 2009
  9. iamnoob

gnubeard

Is anyone running Snow Leopard on their ZG5 full-time?

What are your impressions? How is everything working? Specifically I'm interested in audio input via the external mic connector, and the SD slots.

I am running a fully updated 10.5.8 Leopard install as my only OS on my ZG5. I have everything working (graphics acceleration, full audio, etc) - I run the 9.7.0 Voodoo kernel because I use VMWare Fusion to run WinXP - I don't boot it up that much, so I'm willing to move over to VirtualBox for that if Snow Leopard proves to be a big win in other areas.

This install of mine is absolutely perfect though .. so I'm hesitant to delve into SL if there are few benefits on the ZG5. Sure I have a Time Machine backup, but I have LOADS of apps installed and it will take ages to copy it all back over if things go pear-shaped and I have to format my internal HD.

Bear in mind, I don't have access to another machine. This netbook is my only system as I'm basically perpetually travelling.. so downtime causes major stress, since I make my bread over the net.

Is it worth it to sacrifice a gorgeous Australian weekend? Or will things likely be smooth as silk and I'm just being overly paranoid?

gnubeard, Oct 23, 2009
Ask a Question