Acer Warrenty

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Ranjit, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Ranjit

Ranjit

Hi, I'm going to buy a Acer Aspire One but the only thing bothering me is that Ive heard Acer makes shoddy products which break easily and are bad quality and that their warranty service is a nightmare. I wanted to know how are your Aspire One's holding up, and have you dealt with there Support team at all yet.

Thanks

Ranjit, Aug 20, 2008
  2. Ranjit

JimK

I've only had mine for a little under three weeks, but so far so good. The only problem I've had is that the Acer web site won't let me register -- says it's an invalid SN. It's certainly not built to military specs, but I wouldn't say there's anything shoddy about the quality, at least not compared to other laptops.

JimK, Aug 20, 2008
  3. Ranjit

Ranjit

ahh k, because my brother has an eee pc, and i was going to get one but for 430 bucks i can only get a EEE 900 with a celeron processor and a solid state drive, the eee seems to be better quality because its built by asus, but i could be wrong. But also for that 430 dollars i can get a fully loaded Aspire one :) so but im just hoping that its not gona die on me because of bad quality and because its so cheap.

Ranjit, Aug 20, 2008
  4. Ranjit

Achilles

Took my One in for repair today (after suffering the dreaded Black screen of death! ).

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=903

Hopefully will get it back soon and we will see how they manage with service.

Achilles, Aug 20, 2008
  5. Ranjit

Ranjit

is this dread black screen of death common??, or should i be only worried about it if iam going to upgrade the ram? because iam buying the 1GB Ram model with a 120GB HD, and a 6 cell battery

Ranjit, Aug 20, 2008
  6. Ranjit

SbM

The "dead One" syndrom seems to be related to the BIOS upgrade. Don't do the upgrade and you'll probably be fine.

About the build quality, the Aspire One looks a lot better than the eeePC in my opinion. Had a chance to use both, and the eeePC definitely feels cheap in comparison. I've had the Acer for a month now and it gives no sign of breaking any time soon (touching wood though ;)).

SbM, Aug 21, 2008
  7. Ranjit

Achilles

Just had information back from the Acer repair centre. They won't honour the warranty because the memory had been upgraded. I have pointed out that the memory was correctly installed (I have 30 years experience working in the electronics industry in the UK, Europe and Japan and so know what I am doing), that the machine worked fine after the upgrade and isn't a memory issue. Also, there was no seal (although the service guy kept going on about a seal being removed) and there is definitely nothing in the Acer warranty prohibiting a memory upgrade. Also, Acer even advertise on their own website that the Aspire One 110 has memory upgradeable to 1.5GB!!!

http://www.acer.co.uk/public/page9.do?s ... 2576484246

System memory

Single channel with onboard SDRAM and one soDIMM slot

DDR2 533 MHz SDRAM memory interface design

Onboard SDRAM: 512 MB

soDIMM slot: Supports 512 MB/1 GB soDIMMs for total system memory of up to 1.5 GB

I put it to them as to how can it be that we are not allowed to do a memory upgrade when you are advertising that it can be done! He (the support engineer put it down to "poor communication").

Although I love(d) my Aspire One unless I can get better service than this I cannot recommend this machine. To rub salt into the wounds I was told that I could pay for the repair. Cost: about 300 euro (ie. the cost of a new machine).

I am still hoping that I can resolve this with Acer and will post as soon as I get an answer but frankly I am completely browned off at the moment.

Achilles, Aug 28, 2008
Ask a Question