Acer One's platter sizes?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Sonixunite, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Sonixunite

Sonixunite

Hey what are the platter sizes of the 120GB and 160GB hard drives available for the Acer One?

Sonixunite, Oct 29, 2008
  2. Sonixunite

melhiore

SATA 2.5" HDD. I'm not quite sure how you want to measure platters it self but 2.5" is generally good answer I believe...

melhiore, Oct 29, 2008
  3. Sonixunite

Sonixunite

Oh sorry I meant platter density.

Sonixunite, Oct 29, 2008
  4. Sonixunite

goofball

it depends on the drive you get. They aren't all from the same manufacturer so it's hard to say what platter density they are. The Hitachi that I got was a 5k320 series (120GB) so it's a 2 head/1 platter drive.

goofball, Oct 30, 2008
  5. Sonixunite

Sonixunite

Wow... They should be legally required to tell us this stuff.

Sonixunite, Oct 30, 2008
  6. Sonixunite

ovaltine

From the spec of HGST 5K320: http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib. ... 320_DS.pdf

We can see the density is 250 Gbit/Sq.In. That's the precise specfication.

An easy way to compare with other drives is see the "capacity" of each "disk/platter". From the same PDF, we can see that it's between 160GB/250GB, as the former uses 1 disk and the latter uses two. But I guess it should be 160GB/disk.

ovaltine, Oct 30, 2008
  7. Sonixunite

nmesisca

and why is that? increasing number of platters increases also the cost to manufacture the drive, which means manufacturers are the first one to minimise the numbers of platters used in their drives, if they can.

nmesisca, Oct 30, 2008
  8. Sonixunite

goofball

I suppose doing your own research is asking too much? again, it depends on the drive manufacturer. It's not very important of a spec to the average consumer, only techheads really care and they would go look it up themselves in most cases.

goofball, Oct 30, 2008
  9. Sonixunite

donec

I would say asking here is part of the research process and if you don't want to answer you don't have to. But if you know the answer and want to answer then you have the right to answer.

donec, Oct 30, 2008
  10. Sonixunite

goofball

Asking here is part of it, I agree but stating that the company be required to tell you? That would mean that they would have to source all the drives for the AAO from one manufacturer only and that the drive manufacturer cannot change anything in the drive as well.

I did answer the question with the drive that I received. I can't provide for drives that I did not receive.

goofball, Oct 30, 2008
  11. Sonixunite

Sonixunite

Sorry, I couldn't find the serial numbers for those drives... I'd buy the 120GB over the 160GB if I knew 120GB was singleplatter and the other wasn't.

Sonixunite, Oct 30, 2008
  12. Sonixunite

donec

All they would need is to know the specs for the drive they put into the AAO with that particular serial number. Which in my opinion they should know. I know I have built many computers over the years and I knew the specs of the individual hardware I used in the installation.

donec, Oct 30, 2008
  13. Sonixunite

Sonixunite

Would it really be hard? They could make a place on the generic boxes for stamping, then quickly stamp the HD model on their as they put the unit in the box.

While I don't mind having the right to do things simply, I simply can't stand not being able to do things manually.

Sonixunite, Oct 30, 2008
  14. Sonixunite

goofball

I don't believe they are telling the manufacturer's of their netbooks (it was quanta but they have since outsourced to compal and someone else I can't remember at this time) that they must use a specific hard drive manufacturer, just that it must be a 160Gb SATA drive.

Are you in charge of building the same quantity? Even with Asus, they are not all the same drive. Dell is the same. This is not new, none of the major OEM's (Asus, Dell, Lenovo, etc) will tell you specifically what the platter size is, they are just sourcing drives according to the basic spec's of RPM/size/interface and not how many platters it uses. I know I'm in charge of some 1500 pc's and know the spec's on the drives in the systems but even then, Dell will ship us drives in the same batch that aren't the same manufacturer. Do they have the same platter count/density? Perhaps but maybe not. Some have had different cache sizes, etc...

I'm not saying that you're wrong in asking for it, just not realistic in expecting it perhaps.

goofball, Oct 31, 2008
  15. Sonixunite

donec

I'm just thinking someone knows and how hard is it to share the information as part of the package. I think the buyer has the right to know what they are getting and to ask for it.

donec, Oct 31, 2008
  16. Sonixunite

nmesisca

dude,
    they are not making 15 of them.
    they make thousands, in different locations, sourcing materials from a multitude of partners.
    I have worked for Compaq and lots of other companies before, its always the same (because it cant be otherwise).
    If they were to source all their hard drives (for example) from the same manufacturer, when a faulty batch of hard drives is discovered, this would block all Acers production line.
    They MUST have alternative parts, and sources. Logistics and its costs is also a VERY pressing issue.
    If they are looking into their sourcing and manufacturing costs (who isnt now?) they will try and source from providers that are also physically close to their manufacturing plants. And they dont have 1 manufacturing plant.
    I would suggest you read about manufacturing, especially high tech manufacturing, before asking for something that in unrealistic, and that does not significantly impact the quality or functionality of the product.
    To you, what difference does it make the number of platters????

nmesisca, Oct 31, 2008
  17. Sonixunite

donec

Dude ATTITUDE aside.....
    I don't care if they are making a million of them from every country in the world. The people that make them know what they put into them and when they send them to the assembly center they include some info about what they send or should. So how hard would it be to increase the information they send to include the specs of the parts the used be it hard drives or monitors or whatever. That way the assembly center could include that info with the item or make it available online by s/n. I mean this is the information age isn't it.

That's all I have to say about that!!!

donec, Oct 31, 2008
  18. Sonixunite

nmesisca

First,
    what attitude are you referring to??
    I think I have explained to you what the issues are in doing that.
    You evidently have no idea how things work in manufacture, nor you have explained why is it so important to you.

do you realise that laws to state explicitly the single ingredients for foods have just been put in place only a few years ago,and do you remember all the troubles and complaints the companies have gone through? And thats for food.. imagine for something that you dont eat..

nmesisca, Oct 31, 2008
  19. Sonixunite

Guest Guest

My One came with a Seagate ST9120817AS. It's basically a top of the line Momentus and I've been very pleased with its performance. It has an eight megabyte cache, native command queuing and a spindle speed of 5400rpm. Not bad at all!! Full specs here:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...966c6110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD&locale=en-US

I have no complaints. Acer could have gone super cheap with a much slower 4200rpm drive.

Guest, Nov 1, 2008
  20. Sonixunite

ovaltine

I changed the hard drive to a Seagte 5400.5 320gb. It's fast and according to the spec, it consumes less power than the bundled Seagate 5400.4.

ovaltine, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question