Acer One turns off after 20 seconds

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by oldskoolbiker, Sep 6, 2008.

1. oldskoolbiker

oldskoolbiker

I got the new Acer One with the 120GB HDD and WinXP. While using the computer today it just turned off by it self. I tried turning it back on and after about 20 seconds during the windows boot up it turned off again.

I thought it may be related to battery or heat so I charged the batter fully and let it cool during this time. However it's still cutting the power after being on for around 20 seconds. Even if I go into to BIOS, after around 20 seconds its turning off.

I was using the AA1 fan control in windows, but I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

Anyone got any ideas, or will I be sending it back to Acer?

oldskoolbiker, Sep 6, 2008
  2. oldskoolbiker

retsaw

Does the fan come on at all? When the fan is disconnected the AA1 turns itself off after a short period and at least one person on these forums has had the fan disconnect itself (albeit after being dropped), so it is possible the fan connector isn't very secure and may have worked its way loose. If you are willing to dismantle your AA1 it should be an easy fix, if you aren't then send it back.

retsaw, Sep 6, 2008
  3. oldskoolbiker

oldskoolbiker

thanks . actually the fan was not working. micro center got a new shipment so I just exchanged it.

oldskoolbiker, Sep 6, 2008
  4. oldskoolbiker

cbenz

I just purchased the AA1 and it shuts down after about one minute. If I leave the AA1 one hour powered off, then I turn on, it will run two minutes. But the next time I turn it on, it will run 30 seconds...

I noticed that the fan isn't turned on by the boot when I turn on the AA1.

I think it turns off suddently because of no fan.

Is there a way to check fan is working ? Do I have to use the guarantee ?

Thanks

cbenz, Sep 8, 2008
  5. oldskoolbiker

Anarethos

This happend to mine after I dropped it (in it's case) on the floor. The fan was not working anymore and it shutdown every 20seconds.

I fix this by opening the AA1 and disconnecting/reconnecting the fan connector. I think that the connector is a little bit loose and the fan can disconnect easily.

If you don't want to open your AA1, just send it for repair.

Anarethos, Sep 8, 2008
  6. oldskoolbiker

cbenz

Thank you very much.

Did you take a photo ?

I called the support which told me to send it to guarantee for repair.

cbenz, Sep 11, 2008
Ask a Question