Acer One Shuts Down After 60 or So Seconds

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by robgb, Nov 4, 2008.

1. robgb

robgb

I just unboxed my new Acer One. Brand new. Fired it up using the power cord. Windows Logo came up, the usual stuff, then about sixty seconds in, the thing just shut down. I tried again, same problem. Again, same problem. So I tried doing the recovery process Alt - F10. The recovery process started and, again, about sixty seconds in, the power shut down.

Anyone have this problem? Am I going to have to box this thing up and return it?

robgb

robgb, Nov 4, 2008
  2. robgb

Tamrac

Yup, return it. You have a unit with a defective FAN. 60 sec is about the average for the AAO til it goes to thermal shutdown due to excessive heat on the CPU.

Tamrac, Nov 4, 2008
  3. robgb

robgb

Wonderful. Thanks. What really sucks is now I get dinged with a shipping charge to return it.

Is this a common problem? Should I ask for a replacement or just say to hell with it?

robgb, Nov 4, 2008
  4. robgb

donec

They should cover the shipping charges for a defective item.

donec, Nov 4, 2008
  5. robgb

Tamrac

Not a common problem, but it happens. Some users report the fan cable connector loose or is not connected. But that will require you to open up your Aspire One. Not worth is if I were you. Return it, and convince them to not charge you with additional shipping since they sent you a defective unit. Good luck.

Tamrac, Nov 4, 2008
  6. robgb

robgb

Yeah, unfortunately, their website says customer pays shipping on return items, even defective ones. Hopefully I'll be able to talk them out of it.

Thanks again.

rgb

robgb, Nov 4, 2008
  7. robgb

lagaffe

I just has the same problem: the unit would shut down after about a minute or so... However, this happened after the mainboard was replaced. I had to ship the unit back to ACER to get it fixed again. I just got it back today... The repair note stated that nothing was found to be wrong with the unit :/ Funny thing: the fan is working now.... It was completely silent when I sent it back a week ago. Should I believe in miracles or they simply plugged it while I was not looking?

I just hope that the old adage (3's a charm) does not apply here.

lagaffe, Nov 4, 2008
  8. robgb

Tamrac

Of course nothing was wrong... they just didnt plugin the fan wire properly. And upon inspection, they of course reseated all the cables and plugs. And just like magic, it works. Now stick that nothing is wrong label, and ship it back hehehe. :D

Tamrac, Nov 5, 2008
  9. robgb

robgb

I'm happy to report that the company I was dealing with, PC Connection, had excellent customer support. They took the unit back, no questions, paid for the shipping, and sent a new one out before I even sent the old one back. The new one is working perfectly and I'm loving it.

rgb

robgb, Nov 7, 2008
  10. robgb

mrchiggles

Same issue here - I was about install new RAM in it so glad it died just before I did! Back to John Lewis for it I think.

mrchiggles, Nov 25, 2008
  11. robgb

absorber1

I took mine apart to check it out and upgrade ram , pulled out fan to check out cpu , put it back together and started it up then it shut down in 30 secs , I thought I shorted something :cry: Took it apart and found out I forgot to plug in my Fan :eek: plugged it back in and all good Now :mrgreen: Just thought I would share incase someone else comes across this ,,,

Cheers

absorber1, Nov 29, 2008
  12. robgb

Giorgio Bsron

Hi, after a month of satisfactory behavior, one morning my AAO began to turn off suddenly after a minute form the boot up, with a noise like the activation of a sensor. It happens almost tree to four times... well resigned to send it back for a technical revision, I decided to quit the battery and unplug it form the A/C outlet. Well the good news is that after 5 minutes of this treatment and turning it on again the problem disappear. Now is almost a month since then and the issue never happen again... (...a free clue to all my friends!) be optimistic!
    Now thinking about the issue I'am quite sure that the problem came from the cpu fan that quit from start and the security circuits turned off the unit to prevent a major damage to the cpu.
    Hope this help...
    bye ;)

Giorgio Bsron, Dec 9, 2008
  13. robgb

Giorgio Bsron

Leave your AAO without battery and unplugged for a while then turn it on again, mine starts to works fine until now.. and the issue never happen again...

Giorgio Bsron, Dec 9, 2008
Ask a Question