Acer One Netbook - Vodaphone Dongle Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nickbaker66, May 7, 2009.

1. Nickbaker66

Nickbaker66

I have just got the Acer ASPIRE one Netbook which only supports Linux, not windows. I have recently purchased the Vodafone K3760 dongle for mobile broadband but this does not work.

I am a nOOb to linux....windows no problems but i am stuck :evil: :evil:

i am finding this not very easy task as i am not used to the terminal windows etc..

Can anyone tell me how to install the drivers to be able to get the dongle working in an idiots guide pleaseeeeeee

I have been through the live update which installed the mobile symbol but i am still none the wiser

Many thanks in advance

Nick

Nickbaker66, May 7, 2009
  2. Nickbaker66

harvharv

hello Nick,

DId you get this problem sorted out as I have got the same issue and cannot resolve

any help wouldbe appreciated

cheers

harvharv, Jun 18, 2009
  3. Nickbaker66

nherriot

Hi Guys,

is this still an issue?

I'm from the betavine team. We have just built a variant of the Linux Mobile Connect driver which allows you to connect fairly easily with a range of dongles. We have not yet got support for the k3760 due to the HSO driver problem in the kernel for the Acer Aspire One. However I've tested with several Huawei devices and the MC950D.

Anyway an RPM repository is on our staging server at: http://staging.betavine.net/repo/repm/aaone

Once our test are complete we will anounce on the main page at http://www.betavine.net/bvportal/resources/datacards but it might help some people who are desperate for support now.

If anyone needs detailed instructions on how to add the betavine repository onto your package management system let me know.

Kind regards, Nicholas Herriot.

nherriot, Jun 25, 2009
  4. Nickbaker66

Andy Macpherson

Hi Nicholas,

I set up my AAO Linpus with a Vodafone K3520 a few months ago and it worked fine. I meant to post how I did it as the instructions that I picked up here and there were sometimes contradictory. I never got round to it, which was a shame as after my AAO did the traditional Black Screen of Death I had to reinstall everything from scratch and working with the K3520 has been intermittent ever since.

Anyhow I thought I should mention that the url you posted should I think be

http://staging.betavine.net/repo/rpm/aaone

I'll try testing this and report back although this probably won't be until after the weekend, but wanted to say thanks anyway for the support that both betavine and this forum have provided on a range of issues with the AAO - I greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Macpherson, Jun 25, 2009
  5. Nickbaker66

Andy Macpherson

A quick update:

I followed the link and was pleasantly surprised to get the device recognised, an "installed successfully" type message first go, and a nice big icon on the desktop. Clicking on this for what I imagined to be the next stage of the process I got a nice friendly Betavine logo reminiscent of the one that I had before my machine went awry as in the post above. However this is where it stopped: the only option from there was "Cancel" which had no effect, although I noticed that if I went to "Network" from right clicking on a blank area of screen I would get the red comma Vodafone logo but no accompanying text.

So not much progress but I recognise that somehow I have skipped the bits of typing in the terminal that I did on the last couple of installations.

As in my previous post, I'll report back - any instructions or hints would be welcome if anyone has any handy, but as before I think I'll just have to persist a bit. I've managed before, so it must be easy!

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Macpherson, Jun 29, 2009
  6. Nickbaker66

resafrica

Hi Nicholas,

I noticed that you tested it with several Huawei devices. I have a problem with the EC226. When loading Mobile Partner and trying to connect it returns an error "No SIM card detected or invalid". The modem is a locked modem with no SIM card. Any suggestion on how I can get that modem to work?

Cheers - Klaus

resafrica, Jun 30, 2009
  7. Nickbaker66

Andy Macpherson

Hi Nicholas,

I had another go and I wonder if you could provide any guidance on the following points:

I went to Edit - Repositories - Add in the Package Manager from Add/Remove Software and I'm not sure whether the Location I should supply is

http://staging.betavine.net/repo/rpm/aaone/

or

http://staging.betavine.net/repo/rpm/aa ... noarch.rpm

Could you advise which of these (or something else) I should enter in Location ?

Also what I should enter in the Name and Description fields. I just can't remember how I did these before.

I've tried variations on the theme of vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver and have typically got an Unhandled Exception error report. In the example below I simply entered vodafone mobile connect for both Name and Description in order to generate the error report:

Component: pirut
    Summary: TBc5ad12a9 repos.py:98:getRepo:RepoError: Error getting repository data for vodafone mobile connect, repository not found

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/RepoSelector.py", line 277, in _add
    return self._repoEditor(None)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/RepoSelector.py", line 291, in _repoEditor
    repo = d.run()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/RepoSelector.py", line 208, in run
    if self.ayum and self.ayum.repos.getRepo(name):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/repos.py", line 98, in getRepo
    'Error getting repository data for %s, repository not found' % (repoid)
    RepoError: Error getting repository data for vodafone mobile connect, repository not found

Local variables in innermost frame:
    self: ['development', 'updates-debuginfo', 'fedora', 'development-debuginfo', 'updates-source', 'updates-testing-debuginfo', 'updates-testing', 'updates', 'updates-testing-source', 'development-source', 'fedora-source', 'fedora-debuginfo']
    e: 'vodafone mobile connect'
    repoid: vodafone mobile connect
    posting.php?mode=reply&f=42&t=13976

Andy Macpherson, Jul 4, 2009
Ask a Question