Acer One disappearing from store shelves?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rjm, Sep 28, 2008.

1. rjm

rjm

Actually I don't.

And I just found out that the stock at Future Shop is discounted, marked "final clearance".

Signs of something new coming down the pipe in the very near future? Or is Acer throwing in the towel?

rjm, Sep 28, 2008
  2. rjm

ralphygarfield

I would also desperately like to know what's going on here.

ralphygarfield, Sep 28, 2008
  3. rjm

scourdx

Strange indeed. Check Staples if they have any. I was there on Friday and they still have them in stock. Perhaps Acer is coming out with newer and upgrade version?

scourdx, Sep 28, 2008
  4. rjm

scottro

That sounds logical. I see that J&R is listing fewer versions than before, showing some sold out, etc.

Hopefully, the newer versions have fixed that black screen issue. (Although from what I see so far, CDW, Amazon and J&R are only going to be carrying the XP version, meaning one will have to pay the MS tax, even if you don't plan to use Windows.)

<slight rant>
    It seems that the majority of the netbook manufacturers use a somewhat hobbled version of Linux, then complain that it doesn't sell enough to make it worthwhile. Dell seems to be the only one selling it with a non-hobbled Ubuntu. As I would guess that most of the people buying the Linux version aren't Windows users trying to save money, but rather Linux users who don't like Windows, it seems it would be a better move to sell machines of equal specs at least. Around here (in the US, especially NYC area) it seems that only the Windows version was offering the 1 GB of RAM and hard drive.

Shucks, while I'm ranting, I realize that they wanted to keep the price low, but I wonder how much it would have added to the price to put in a better SSD with a faster write speed.

scottro, Sep 28, 2008
  5. rjm

DanCar

DanCar, Sep 28, 2008
  6. rjm

scottro

Sigh, I see that J&R, though they still have no anticipated delivery date, have raised the prices on the 6 cell from $399 to $429. I hope that's not going to happen everywhere.

scottro, Sep 28, 2008
  7. rjm

rjm

Looking at those bestseller the 6-cell, XP model is featured at no1, while the older models dont break the top 10.

So it may well be that the Linpus version is headed for the glue factory, along with the 3-cell XP model.

Not so many tears for the XP 3-cell, but sad to see the end of the SSD/Linux/slim original.

Or they might be doing something like replacing the SSD version with a upgraded SSD (unlikely as no announcement from Intel or Sandisk of new parts), or possibly (likely?) with 3G by default.

rjm, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question