Acer One Boot problem. HAL again?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by dmitcalf, Jun 9, 2009.

1. dmitcalf

dmitcalf

Just toasted my Acer One which I think happened after a power fail - or at least it was not a clean shutdown. Now it boots ok and shows the desktop with no error messages at all. But:
    - Network manager finds no wifi services
    - USB not working.
    - Terminal just hangs without showing a command prompt
    - Thunar shows the file system ok but the shortcuts in the left panel have vanished (Documents, Download etc).

The haldaemon is not running and will not start manually.
    The /var/lock/subsys folder had been deleted so I made a new one - no improvement and deleting /etc/mtab~* did not help either. How can I find out why HAL will not start as I can not run Terminal? Any help would be much appreciated.

dmitcalf, Jun 9, 2009
  2. dmitcalf

Dyno

Maybe someone can provide better help, but one option to see if its hardware or software would be to create a USB boot image for eg. Ubuntu. This allows your notebook to boot up on USB only and will function with the hardware running linux only from USB. If the USB boot fails to work with your hardware then its a physical issue. It saves you playing around with your OS and possibly causing more issues.

Check out:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook
    I use win32diskimager.exe to create the bootable USB stick.

Note: Change boot order in bios to boot 1st from USB drive. Dot forget to "Run from USB", not "Install"

Dyno, Jun 11, 2009
  3. dmitcalf

arc3

Re: Acer One Boot problem. HAL again? I was able to solve it

I had exactly the same problem. It happened when I executed a script that did something wrong and then my AAO hanged. Then I had to force a power off. This probably produced the issues that are being reported by other users: that the AAO with Linux Limpus may be left in an bad state if it is not shut down properly.

When it happened no me, I was left without network, without usb, without terminal, and without expansion cards, therfore I was not able to see the files that were stored by Thunar on the expansion card, only in the internal memory.

After trying several things, THE SOLUTION for me was to force another power off around 2 seconds after the computer was starting to boot linux (around 2 seconds after you no longer have the opportunity to enter BIOS)

Then, the next time it boot up perfectly, with all the services working properly.

Hope it helps if you haven't already reistalled the O.S.

arc3, Aug 29, 2009
Ask a Question