Acer-linpus Apps/update site is now online!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mzc, Oct 22, 2008.

1. mzc

mzc

Hi patient linpus users!

Acer has just switched-on the the software updates site found in the official Aspire one Web site. I just saw it just now.

I dont know how good it is.. just discovered it was already working as of now.

mzc

mzc, Oct 22, 2008
  2. mzc

steven.chien

steven.chien, Oct 22, 2008
  3. mzc

anz

great - fine - super!
    ... and: there is also an uninstall guide!!!

anz, Oct 22, 2008
  4. mzc

gheek

If you have edited the group-app.xml file to edit the icons on the Linpus desktop, you might want to take a backup of it before running the application updates. On my machine, my modified desktop settings were overwritten during the installation.

gheek, Oct 22, 2008
  5. mzc

onlineaddy

onlineaddy, Oct 22, 2008
  6. mzc

philubuntu

Sorry to disappoint guys, but I just checked the Acer website http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/files and most of the files that were available earlier today have now gone....they are coming soon though!!

Ho hum!!

philubuntu, Oct 22, 2008
  7. mzc

gheek

Hi,

They are still there, but there's something wrong with that URL you used. I noticed that already yesterday; it seems that URL serves an HTML file that is lacking the URLs of the download files.

When using http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/f ... nnect.html instead, downloading works fine - and you can also access the other sections "Work", "Fun" and "Files" from there.

Cheers!

gheek, Oct 22, 2008
  8. mzc

mzc

Its goods that an Apps repository has been established without the hassle of modding extensively. Still, Acer is just trailing Asus EEE - this feature was already implemented in Taiwan or China. . I hope they would include Samba to enhance networking (I'm too lazy installing by cli.

mzc, Oct 23, 2008
  9. mzc

bjc

Amazingly when I installed these it actually updated my group-app.xml correctly - nothing I had was lost or displaced and extra icons were placed appropriatly.
    Shame only a few of the icons are high-quality though :(
    But they seem to be getting their act together at last
    Now for OpenOffice3 ?
    BJC

bjc, Oct 24, 2008
  10. mzc

mzc

BJC,

Openoffice 3 Impress is not as good as the OEM 2.3 version. MS Powerpoint slides does not work properly. I did not have time figure out why... It may be just the Oo 3.0 version bundled wih Mandriva.

:)

mzc, Oct 25, 2008
  11. mzc

bjc

Thanks for the warning MZC.
    I have already had a problem with an OO 2.3 presentation when I appended an extra slide to it just before a lecture.
    I had already run through the slides to check them and stupidly didn't recheck after the addition
    It managed to replace the body of all the other slides with their respective headings :?
    I was lucky I had separate notes
    Lecture was on software design so I used it as a bad example of testing
    I didn't fool anyone though :oops:

bjc, Oct 25, 2008
  12. mzc

karona

:lol: :lol:

You can use Acer as a bad example of testing too, They've got 'gnome-screenSAVER' to download, but what /actually/ downloads is SCREENSHOT, two entirely different progs.

:evil:

Keith

karona, Oct 25, 2008
  13. mzc

mzc

Honestly I'm not that impressed with Oo Impress. If you're used to using MS Powerpoint and going to edit it on Open office, there's a big chance that incompatibilities would occur. Ofcourse, this should not be the case and probably was not intended by developers at Oo.

mzc, Oct 25, 2008
  14. mzc

jccguays

Hi, Long time ago I don't write and I don't use my AA1.

I would like to update some thing in my AA1, but I'm a little afraid, not only because I customized my desktop and other things, but because every time I read something about updating I begin to read messages with problems. So, I ask:

Has anyone updating things and keeping the same desktop or programms?

Thanks for the answer

jccguays, Nov 10, 2008
  15. mzc

Cortinaman

Hi there,

I have only had my AAO for a couple of months most of which I have spent trying to get my mobile broadband dongle to work on it. I ended up messing something up and restored the computer to it's factory settings. Today i used a WiFi connection to download Mobile Partner off the Acer site and everything was going well and the dongle was working until I decided to update to Firefox 3. I was prompted to shut firefox and restart it for the changes to take effect when Mobile Partner froze so I decided to restart the AAO. Upon the restart the power button lit up green as normal but nothing else happens. The screen has stayed blank and the keyboard isn't responding (when I hit Caps Lock for instance the corresponding light doesn't illuminate) has anyone else had a similar problem? Is there anything I can do to fix it? I'm not very technically minded and have never used Linux before - i only got the thing as a cheap means of internet on the go and I really like the thing but boy is it frustrating. :(

update

The wonderful people at Tesco have given me a full refund as they had no AAO's in stock - I'm glad because I didn't want a replacement. I have seen on the Macles Blogspot that hundreds of people have had a similar problem - apparently the bios needs flashing or something. I don't see the point in buying inherantly faulty goods so will buy a windows laptop instead. Good riddance to Linux and best of luck to the rest of you trying to get the linux AAO to do what you want it to.

Cortinaman, Dec 29, 2008
  16. mzc

mzc

Your experience is very unfortunate.... Acer is after volume sales !!!! It looks like Acer's problem is getting worst especially in their linux variant... I also experienced problems with the BIOS and I ended up using an old BOIS version. Acer's reckless actions overshadows how Linpus lite really is.. the customized Acer version is really a bastardized version of Linpus' original version....Linpus support(direct support from Linpus) is very accomodating and definitely much better that how Acer handles their after sales service...The customized version is Acer's sole direction - they decide on the features and what the machine is capable of (networking, software repositories, etc)..... The recent BIOS update seems to only help AAO on the Windows platform.

I have been using Mandriva One 2009, Acer Linpus Lite, and Winxp side by side; The only thing that Microsoft can grasp is the familairity of people with its system and MS Office. The Mandriva KDe version is actually very cool which is opposite of Acer Linpus lite's simplicity both are at par with Windows (depending who you talk to...)

mzc, Jan 1, 2009
  17. mzc

timkel

I downloaded several updates. All work perfectly including Firefox 3.0

timkel, Jan 4, 2009
  18. mzc

Cortinaman

Hi,

Not sure this is in the right forum or not but given my previous post - I'll put it here.

As I said just 3 weeks ago my AAO had died on me and I thought it may be due to updating through the Acer Aspire One website for programs on Linux. I got a new AAO with Windows on it and the exact same thing has happened. There is a fault with the AAO Bios and Acer would NOT authorise a refund through Comet where I purchased it only 20 day ago!! They said to the Comet Staff that it is a known fault and will be repaired - they were even aware that it is the second AAO I have had with the same problem. The Store Manager rightly pointed out that they have had no Memo from Acer regarding this fault and wasn't happy about selling faulty goods.

As a result of this I recommend everyone gets in contact with Acer to find out what can be done to prevent this occuring with your AAO. I am not scaremongering, but I think it's a disgrace the way Acer are treating it's customers and there should be a recall notice put out. I feel I have been penalised for showing some brand loyalty and unsurprisingly I shall not be buying Acer products again. I am also tempted to write to tradings standards.

Cortinaman, Jan 19, 2009
  19. mzc

scudder2u

I had tweaked my acer-linpus quite a bit and thought I would do a clean install and install the "acer approved" apps from the update site......

I am a bit disappointed. FF3 installs the google toolbar and it cannot be uninstalled. Yes, you can hide it but its not something I use..... also every single possible language pack is installed... every single one. You can disable them but they cant be uninstalled. Disabling them one by one takes some time too.. there are probably (guessing) 30-40 of them. FF3 is not considered an optional install so it cant be uninstalled through live-update.

VLC installs but as its installing alot of the really necessary codecs are removed. That really restricts what you can watch it.

So, I did another clean install and went back to macles website (macles.blogspot.com) and did the installs his way. They work great.... Thanks Macles.

Just FYI. It may not matter to you.

scudder2u, Jan 24, 2009
  20. mzc

finnbakk

Has anyone tried to contact Acer regarding the update issue?
    I cannot find anything on their web site that tell anyhing at all about Linpus Lite and eventually plans for new releases, distro upgrades etc.

I now have installed the Easy Peasy distro on my AAO 110 and it seems to be ok, at least better than Linpus.

finnbakk, Jan 28, 2009
Ask a Question