Acer Aspire ZG5 completely died unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Romankasp, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Romankasp

Romankasp

Hi all,

I need your advice regarding the following problem with my Acer Aspire ZG5. It suddenly refused to start up today, after working perfectly and shutting down normally yesterday. It just died! When you press the Power button, literally NOTHING happens, no sounds, no fans start working, no lights are on, no screen image, no HDD sound, nothing. Only the battery charge light is solid green (if the power adapter is plugged in). The netbook doesn't start at all, whether it is plugged into a power outlet or not, I even tried to start it only with power source plugged in, without battery. Nothing.

In this and other forums I read about frequent problems with BIOS being suddenly erased on these laptops, but it's not my case (I wish it was :( , because I would fix it quickly, I am not a novice in computers). I tried to follow the procedure I found on this site: remove the battery, then plug in the power source while holding Fn+Esc keys, and then press Power button and it should enter the BIOS flash mode. No such luck. When I do this, the result is the same: nothing happens. So it's clearly not a BIOS problem, the laptop cannot be powered on at all!

By the way: if I remove the battery and then plug in the power source while holding the Power button (or press it immediately after I insert the power cable and hold it), the laptop starts making frequent clicking sounds, not loud but still audible, and the source seems to be inside. If you press your ear against the back cover where it has a weird circular "bump", the clicking becomes very loud and resembles the clicking which you hear when you switch on the turn signal on some cars. Moreover, if you continue to hold the power button and press the Space key, the laptop stops clicking and the battery light flashes orange four (4) times, then everything stops. What can it mean????

Does this problem sound familiar? I guess that sounds like some serious hardware fault inside the computer. :( I wish I knew why it happened, I never dropped it or spilled liquids on it. Do you think I should take it to a specialized company and try to repair it or it's likely to be so expensive that it's better to sell it for parts?

Thanks for your help and advice :)

Romankasp, Jul 20, 2013
  2. Romankasp

Nestone50

Rremove the battery and the power cord. hold in the power button for 15 seconds to reset the computer. reinstall the battery, plug in the power and try again. Hopefully it will power up.

Nestone50, Jul 24, 2013
  3. Romankasp

Nestone50

Nestone50, Jul 24, 2013
  4. Romankasp

Romankasp

Thanks, I have already taken it to a computer repair company, also I have performed all these tests at home, it ddn't power up at all, even to flash the BIOS (Fn+Esc+Power). It's not a BIOS issue. Something happened to the power supply board, they are going to replace it.

Romankasp, Jul 25, 2013
Ask a Question