Acer aspire with vista problems

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ssj555, Aug 23, 2008.

1. ssj555

ssj555

Hi
    i have the aspire one model with 8gb hdd and 512mb ram.

I have tried to install tinyvista through usb and it goes all the way to the last stop but it hangs on completing installation.
    I have tried restarting but then it says please re install,

i have also tried using my own vista cd and using vlite to cut the size down but it also hangs at the same place,
    so i think it may be a hardware fault or a wrong setting.

I have even tried a different usb stick but i still get the same problem.
    If anyone has a solution please could you help me.

Thanks in advance.

ssj555, Aug 23, 2008
  2. ssj555

judeh101

yeah, it might be hardware fault. return the machine and get it exchanged.

judeh101, Aug 23, 2008
  3. ssj555

goofball

Have you tried not installing a stripped down version of Vista?

goofball, Aug 24, 2008
  4. ssj555

ssj555

Dont worry now iv sorted it.
    I had to leave it for over a hour then it installed.
    Vista is a bit slow so i might go back to linux.

ssj555, Aug 24, 2008
  5. ssj555

Flux101

I left mine installing for about an hour and a half, but it still doesn't get past the completing installation bit. I've tried TinyVista and a vLited SP1 that I made, and both of them have hanging issues - TinyVista stops at completing installation, and the VLite one goes back to copying files after it has restarted and stops there, when it should normally go to completing installation.

I have had a vLite version working, but not one that includes SP1. So I'm thinking SP1 is the problem, unless anyone else has a solution?

Flux101, Sep 16, 2008
  6. ssj555

Flux101

Turns out - really leave it. A long time. Must've been 2 hours, but everything's installed. Now for stopping it using the SSD so much...

Flux101, Sep 16, 2008
  7. ssj555

...BeAkEr...

you need more ram, i'm running a full copy of ultimate with 1.5gb of ram and its fast and great

...BeAkEr..., Sep 16, 2008
  8. ssj555

xraycat

And the SSD is probably too slow to run Vista or even XP. I upgraded the ram to 1.5GB and swapped the SSD for a 30GB iPod drive and Vista runs very smooth!

xraycat, Sep 16, 2008
  9. ssj555

Flux101

I have 1.5GB of RAM... It's the SSD that was the problem. I would dread to think what running Vista would be like on 512MB RAM! The install wouldn't have been any different though, that would've been slow either way when it has SP1 preinstalled, at least on the ones I tried (non-SP1 installed quickish).

Yeah, the SSD is definitely the bottleneck. I just have most programs running on the SD card now, which is fine, and turned everything off that rapes the SSD, all the indexing and stuff like that, and it's running nicely now. Using Google Chrome with Privoxy for ad blocker, and it's perfect - Firefox is just too sluggish and bloated now. FF3 doesn't even run great on my desktop.

Bizarrely, I've found Vista to run better than XP. It hardly locks up now (once maybe every 15 mins or so maybe, XP did it probably every minute). It runs a lot cooler as well, so the fan mod doesn't have to trip in often, which is a must for me, I hate the pitch of the AAO fan, so irritating.

Flux101, Sep 16, 2008
  10. ssj555

...BeAkEr...

i have the 150 model [120gb hdd w/ upgraded 1.5gb ram] and installed vista ultimate immediately and have never had a problem with or even noticed the fan noise so i guess it must run cooler, also ff3 runs great for me though it does take maybe 10 seconds for the app to run the first time, after that everything is lightening fast

...BeAkEr..., Sep 16, 2008
  11. ssj555

Flux101

Did you install Vista with integrated SP1, or did you install it after? (Or not at all?)

The fan is on constantly for me (in any OS), it's annoying until one of the various hacks available are installed.

Flux101, Sep 17, 2008
  12. ssj555

...BeAkEr...

i installed standard ultimate installer disc and then updated sp1 and then ran the vistaloader 2.1.3 crack ;)

...BeAkEr..., Sep 17, 2008
  13. ssj555

Flux101

Ah, I didn't have a problem with a standard disk, that installed in 20 mins or so. It was any disk that had SP1 slipstreamed onto it that took ages, wonder if anyone else has tried that. With only 8GB to play with, it needs stripping down in some way, which means SP1 can't be installed afterwards as it checks everything is there, so it has to be slipstreamed in first and then stripped down.

Wish I'd bought the 120GB drive, but it wasn't available in blue here when I was buying and I just couldn't wait!

Flux101, Sep 17, 2008
Ask a Question