Acer Aspire Revo - the small nettop

Discussion in 'Other Laptop Models' started by 2manydjs, Apr 18, 2009.

1. 2manydjs

2manydjs

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/13/acer ... th-releas/

Are other people keeping an eye on this new little computer as well? It has an Intel Atom and Nvidia Ion graphics. It is able to show 1080p content and has HDMI built in. Prices should start around £180 (although lower prices have been spotted) for a Linux version. Sounds like the perfect media PC! I would love to have ubuntu with boxee running on a big TV!

Does anyone have some more info on this? With what Linux would it be delivered?

2manydjs, Apr 18, 2009
  2. 2manydjs

GvidoR

Looks nice but if you're going to have it at home, you're not going to move it anyways, so why not build a high spec desktop? I don't think that the price would be much different (If you don't use SLI, Core i7, etc.) By the way, it has Nvidia GeForce 9400 Graphics not Ion. Ion platform is the small motherboard they came up with. And if you're buying the cheap version with an SSD and Linux - what's the point of the good graphics chip? I think it's great but doesn't fit me because at home I can use a desktop and on travel with a laptop.

GvidoR, Apr 19, 2009
  3. 2manydjs

2manydjs

Yes it has the GeForce 9400 which is part of the ion platform, but I don't see how this is related to Linux or the SSD. The Ion platform (including the GeForce 9400) allows for 1080p content, which can easily be streamed of any NAS or PC/Mac. It would still make a great Media PC in my eyes.

2manydjs, Apr 20, 2009
  4. 2manydjs

SlCKB0Y

If you read the link thee ssd version does not come with the 'good' graphics adapter. And not everyone wants a ugly, noisy, large desktop machine driving their tv.

SlCKB0Y, Jul 2, 2009
  5. 2manydjs

GvidoR

Ugly? Get a nice case or put it behind your TV! :D
    Get a mini tower, that's not THAT big.
    And also they're not THAT noisy!

GvidoR, Jul 3, 2009
  6. 2manydjs

faust_mateo

I got the $199 Ion LE version and after a 15$ bump to 2Gb Ram I am streaming netflix to a 42" and playing my Hd videos on the same 42". Its a phenominal media box which is no bigger then a hardback book. I am using my external storage as a place to store all my movies and couldn't be happier with it.

faust_mateo, Dec 29, 2009
Ask a Question