Acer Aspire One. What are the common issues?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Linuxperiment, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Linuxperiment

Linuxperiment

Since this is the beginner section I hope this is okay. What are all of the common issues among all models/versions of the Acer Aspire One? I've heard stuff like noisy fan, bad wi-fi, etc. Can anyone give me a complete list of the problems?

Linuxperiment, Feb 2, 2009
  2. Linuxperiment

Linuxperiment

I forgot to ask, how does the 16 GB XP AAO work? Is 8 of that GB easily removed and 8 soldered on? I ask this because I'm wondering about SSD upgrades.

Linuxperiment, Feb 2, 2009
  3. Linuxperiment

myuusmeow

While I have experienced most of these common problems, I have them all fixed.
    Installing different drivers or turning off power saving in the Device Manager.
    Quieting the fan (although even at the normal "loud" setting it is barely audible) is fixed by installing A1CTL.
    The only other problems I have had with it on the hardware level (eg not problems with the OS) is that is gets hot, but that is to be expected on such a small unit.

I am not sure about the SSDs because I have the 160GB model.

myuusmeow, Feb 2, 2009
  4. Linuxperiment

mdarnton

I had a problem using standby and hibernate--results were inconsistent, often resulting in hangs. Uninstalling the Acer camera drivers and reverting to Windows' drivers (suggested somewhere on this forum--others have had the issue) cleared up that problem.

mdarnton, Feb 4, 2009
  5. Linuxperiment

jarethscrystalball

What is the difference between Standby and Hibernate?

JCB

jarethscrystalball, Feb 6, 2009
  6. Linuxperiment

toyota

Standby suspends to RAM, and leaves the RAM powered, hibernation suspends to disk and lets the machine power down completely. :)

toyota, Feb 6, 2009
  7. Linuxperiment

allan1954

acer aao mine 512 ram 160g linux my only disapointment is 2 hour battery life fan running all the time some times when i tick the box to log off it does not work and i have to remove the battery and when my battery goes totaly flat it delets all my webb addresss and passwords

allan1954, Feb 6, 2009
  8. Linuxperiment

Ballistic

If it aint broke... don't fix it. ancient Chinese proverb cicra 1400 BC.

Ballistic, Feb 6, 2009
Ask a Question