acer aspire one upgrading to 2gb ram some ideas would they work

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by andyy, Jun 17, 2012.

1. andyy

andyy

Hi

I know the Limitation on the acer aspire one chip set is 2GB , However 512MB is soldered directly to the motherboard making the MAX 1.5GB as no 1.5 GB Ram sticks exist to make it 2GB ... and if i added a 2GB card it would be 2.5GB which is above the limit...

Soo I would like to know if it would be possible for me to create a 1.5GB stick of ram out of a 2GB one (eg: remove say two of the chips)

The only problem I can think of with this (apart from whether it is even possible) is weather the slot may have a limit of 1GB its self.

Soo this leads me to think if I were to remove the 512MB of ram off the motherboard would i be able to solder 1GB on instead?

I know this would be tricky but would make an interesting challenge, also no one else seems to have got a aspire one to run 2GB of ram yet...

Thanks Andy

andyy, Jun 17, 2012
  2. andyy

Swarvey Moderator

Depending on your model, installing a 2gb module will do one of two things, either a) the onboard 512mb will be disabled, giving you the maximum 2gb or b) you'll Max out at 1.5gb

As far as I'm aware, there's no way to modify a ram modules capacity.

Swarvey, Jun 17, 2012
  3. andyy

andyy

andyy, Jun 18, 2012
  4. andyy

Swarvey Moderator

So do you want us to delete this thread?

Swarvey, Jun 18, 2012
  5. andyy

andyy

well its up to you

may help people who need to know how to do this ....

andyy, Jun 18, 2012
Ask a Question