Acer Aspire One updates - are they necessary?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ChrisJBrady, Mar 29, 2013.

1. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady

MS offers free automatic updates - almost monthly. I get update notifications for my HP & Canon printers. And for my Toshiba Qosmio I also get update notifications.

But I don't get any notifications for my AAO 532h. So I guess many if the system files and drivers etc are a tad out-of-date. Is there a way of registering for automatic updates or at leas notifications of updates? And how do I know which ones I need to download and install?

Many thanks.

ChrisJBrady, Mar 29, 2013
  2. ChrisJBrady

Nestone50

You don't mention your OS. I have this netbook and mine came with Windows 7 Starter that I later upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium. However, I think this same model also came with Windows XP. When I installed Windows 7 Home Premium, the latest drivers were installed at that time.
    This netbook dates back to 2009. Here is a link to the Acer website although most of these drivers are now a few years old: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
    The drivers on the Acer website ID the component manufacturers so you can go to those websites as well and see if there are newer drivers. I'm from the old school that expounds that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, I guess if you install a new driver that doesn't work, you can always roll it back.

Nestone50, Mar 29, 2013
  3. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady

Hi - thank you for the quick response. Actually it is running Win 7 Starter. I think everything is up to date excepting Acer-specific apps., drivers, utilities. Hmm - I'm old skool too but just recently things have started to go wrong. Thanks for the link. I see that some of the drivers are dated fairly recently so may be I need them. I see at the Applications tab there is an [Acer Updater_Acer_1.02.3502_Win7x86] I wonder if I run this it will search around and update anything that needs it?

ChrisJBrady, Mar 29, 2013
  4. ChrisJBrady

Nestone50

You can try that or go into Device Manager, right click on your various components, choose Properties and then click on the driver tab. One of your choices there will be update driver. Assuming you are online, the next choice includes to check for updates via the internet.
    You mention things have suddenly begun to go wrong. Why do you think the fault is driver related? More likely something else, such as malware.

Nestone50, Mar 29, 2013
  5. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady

Hi - thank you for the help. Good idea. Will try Updates by Internet.

The problem is the launch driver - the Fn+function keys work OK except that they no longer bring up any icons. E.g. Fn+F2 no longer shows the popup display to tell me if Wifi &/or 3G is switched on. And the Fn+triangle no longer shows sound volume levels. Etc.

ChrisJBrady, Mar 31, 2013
  6. ChrisJBrady

Nestone50

Hmmm. I don't have that feature on my 532h. Perhaps when I updated to Home Premium, I did away with it. All my function keys work. However, I don't get up any pop up icons when I make adjustments such as sound volume or screen brightness. Had a look around and found a drive that might help you: http://www.getdriver.com/redirectdo...b-aspire-one-532h-ao532h-windows-7-32bit-app/
    Scroll down the page until you see: Dritek Launch Manager Application 2.0.1.218 3.1 MB Aspire One 532h (AO532h) Windows 7 (32bit) App
    (Download) I think this might give you what you want.

Nestone50, Mar 31, 2013
  7. ChrisJBrady

Nestone50

Hmmm. I don't have that feature on my 532h. Perhaps when I updated to Home Premium, I did away with it. All my function keys work. However, I don't get up any pop up icons when I make adjustments such as sound volume or screen brightness. Had a look around and found a drive that might help you: http://www.getdriver.com/redirectdo...b-aspire-one-532h-ao532h-windows-7-32bit-app/
    Scroll down the page until you see: Dritek Launch Manager Application 2.0.1.218 3.1 MB Aspire One 532h (AO532h) Windows 7 (32bit) App
    (Download) I think this might give you what you want.

Nestone50, Mar 31, 2013
  8. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady

Thank you - I downloaded and installed Launch Manager and the Fn icons are back. If I press Fn+F2 I now get the icons which tell me if Wifi / 3G is on - important for flying in aircraft mode. And the Fn+triangle tells me the level of sound volume. I'll have a look at the other driver updates later. Thank you for your help!!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
    ChrisJBrady, Apr 2, 2013
Ask a Question