Acer Aspire One Sucess Stories

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by joe.pelayo, Oct 17, 2008.

1. joe.pelayo

joe.pelayo

Hello there.

Just as there are several threads dedicated to the infamous Black Screen Of Death that haunts the Aspire One, I am starting this one to collect 'success stories' with the Acer Aspire One.

What do I mean by 'success stories'? I mean Acer Aspire Ones that have not failed at all in their live span (no BSOD whatsoever).

Allegedly the necessary time for the BSOD to appear is of 3 weeks, so anyone with an older Aspire One that has not failed for 3 weeks can be counted as 'success'.

Just to cast some 'hope' in this utterly worrying affair of the BSOD.

Thanks.
    Joe.

joe.pelayo, Oct 17, 2008
  2. joe.pelayo

Tex

Blue 512/8gig SSD linux version bought in August. zero black screens or any other issues. even loaded xp on the ssd at one point but was too slow so restored to linpus. everyday use, it's my main pc now actually.

I would call that a "success"

Tex, Oct 17, 2008
  3. joe.pelayo

Tamrac

My A110 8gb SSD 1Gb RAM running on XP for more than a month now.... no errors no BSOD(black or blue) hehe. No noisy fan, sticky keys. Been flawless since I installed XP instead of the crippled linpus. Though of course I've only been using it for open office applications and most of the time firefox and Yahoo messenger. But hey after hours and hours of use... no errors no nothing. Fairly stock unit, only upgraded the bios to .3305.

Tamrac, Oct 17, 2008
  4. joe.pelayo

Murgatroid

My first 150 did suffer the BlkSoD (this happened before I found this site and the workaround). I returned it for another 150. I installed the same stuff (OS/X dual boot with XP) on the new AAO. It's been rock solid and hasn't had ANY issues. I did update the BIOS to 3304 when it came out, so that may have helped.

I have to say I really love this little thing, especially at the price paid. It's a lot nicer to use than my EEE 701 4G...

-steve

Murgatroid, Oct 17, 2008
  5. joe.pelayo

millerm277

I love my 150, and have now had it for about 2 months. Most stable machine I've owned, not a single crash.

millerm277, Oct 17, 2008
  6. joe.pelayo

pxharder

I love my A150! I've had it for over two months with no problems! In fact, it saved a presentation recently. Some folks came in to do a presentation and could not get their large laptop to connect to the projector. I plugged in my AAO, loaded their presentation from a USB drive, and saved the day!

Because of my AAO, three other people I work with have gone out and bought their own.

pxharder, Oct 17, 2008
  7. joe.pelayo

rory

Mines perfect, Vista with Solid Edge (CAD), Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended, Office 07 and runs like a dream.
    Love it, and have since my first one (this is my third)
    First broke
    Second I pulled out the lead between mother and daughter boards, so it would seem totally fucked and I could get a HDD version but no such luck, HDD wasn't in stock
    Third is this one, and its the best, ZIF HDD mod, RAM Dell 1390 WiFi for OS X.
    Only prob is one of the screws nder the battery ot stripped, and I had to dill it out with a powerdrill.

rory, Oct 17, 2008
  8. joe.pelayo

chuckcalo

The other day windows couldn't boot up and it was working good before. I then removed the battery and put it back again and windows was working flawless.

As for the BSOD, I haven't gotten any so far (Ive had this for a month).

chuckcalo, Oct 17, 2008
  9. joe.pelayo

donec

I've had my AA1 for 6 weeks and it has worked fine all that time. I started with Linpus and upgraded it to the advance mode, did some customization but still was not satisfied with the software, So I tried Fedora and failed then tried Ubuntu but wireless was a problem then found Onelinux-beta-1 and had no problems of concern with it. Tried Mandriva and could not set it up the way I wanted (but it did work quite well) so I went back to Onelinux-beta-1 and here is where I will stay until something that works as easily and is better comes along. I love my AA1.

donec, Oct 17, 2008
  10. joe.pelayo

Darryl

Had it 7 weeks. Installed extra RAM and adjusted write speed. Added various apps and got a good intro to linux. This lil machine is perfect! :)

Darryl, Oct 17, 2008
  11. joe.pelayo

PGH_One_User

My 2-month old Blue 8 GB SSD is still working fine with XP on SSD. I sold it to a friend and he is still using it daily.

My 1-month old AOA-150 is PERFECT. It's running XP, Office 2007, Photoshop CS3 and more. I've been using it with a 20" eternal LCD monitor when I need to do serious work. With 1.5 GB RAM it's not the fastest machine I own but it is the most convenient.

PGH_One_User, Oct 17, 2008
  12. joe.pelayo

billr

hi

Bought my AA1 in August 120G HDD 512ram and XP

Using it everyday since 5-6hrs absolutely no problems - no fan noise,no crashes,no BSOD.

Loaded just a couple of apps MS Outlook and a neat Freeview TV prog which works great from the USB
    stick and I watch TV on this little box! amazing :D Everything else is straight out of the box perfect

I've also gotten some games to work which I did NOT expect to happen at all - Go look at the gaming forum here for more. This machine is really doing great stuff :lol: The AA1 has performed beyond my expectations.

Great value for money too :p

billr, Oct 17, 2008
  13. joe.pelayo

wst50

Never heard of the BlkSOD until this thread. Never had it. Thunar segfaults on /, but that's it so far as problems go.

And a frined bought the 120GB Linpus one last night :D In blue, so we have matching laptops.

wst50, Oct 18, 2008
  14. joe.pelayo

soleblaze

I had an AOA110 for about a month, and that never black screened on me.. and since the person I sold it to never breathed down my neck about problems I assume it's still running fine.

soleblaze, Oct 21, 2008
  15. joe.pelayo

judeh101

this is my primary machine now, my lovely desktop is now like garbage, sitting there doing nothing, but if I still want to play games, I would still use it, otherwise, just trash.
    I love it.

judeh101, Oct 21, 2008
  16. joe.pelayo

dale

Hi! I bought mine last July. Up to now, no significant problems i encountered ( except linpus itself, after 2 weeks, i installed xp pro sp3 using fat32 as filesystem). performance, comparable to my brothers acer aspire 29XX series. only the ample 8Gb is my storage so definitely a 16Gb SDHC is a must... other than that, very much happy!

dale, Oct 24, 2008
  17. joe.pelayo

steven.chien

I bought my one in the summer holiday, around the end of Aug. I use it for light office works, and use it for internet browsing. It works well, I enjoy every use(except installing software, solving the dependence issues). Normally, when I need to buy something rather expansive, I will do researches on it for more than a month. But this time, I just went pass the Acer booth at the Hong Kong Computer Fair, it was nearly the end of the fair, and every one is trying to hunt for cheap products. While I heard the sales from Acer shouting the they have the last Aspire One linux, then I went to the Asus booth and found the price is much higher than Acer, without thinking, I went to Acer and buy the One. It is a white AA1 Linux edition, with 8G SSD, 1G ram, Atom 1.6G and WiFi. When I went home, at the first place, I felt that buying One is an error, until I found this forum, I solved most of my curious and concerns and problems here, and i found the One is a great notebook!
    Now is even better, because Acer has released popular software customized for AA1, installing software become a easy task!
    In the end, this is a really good computer, also, if parents want to buy their kids a computer, AA1 or netbooks are really good choice, first, the function is limited, and they won't need much functions, second, it's cheap.

Finally, I love my one!

steven.chien, Oct 27, 2008
  18. joe.pelayo

taiguy

Bought it on newegg - success!
    Wiped and installed vista - success!
    Eliminated all but the most necessary services to increase speed - success!
    Upgrade RAM and installed internal USB hub w/bluetooth - success!
    3 coworkers came up to me the first day I brought it to work to look at it, they all bought one - success!

taiguy, Oct 28, 2008
  19. joe.pelayo

joe.pelayo

Well, today I realized that my machine is just three weeks old and it still works very well despite all the things I've done to her (I even installed another Linux once).

Hope this continues.

Thanks.
    Joe.

joe.pelayo, Nov 1, 2008
  20. joe.pelayo

melhiore

Couple of months; mods, digging in, changes... Not a single problem. I wouldn't call it success - that's normal use w/o problems ;) Love this machine - in my case saves a lot of time every day...

melhiore, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question